Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I've betrayed all of you..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102471-ive-betrayed-all-you.html)

Wardey 05-05-2005 09:56 AM

I've betrayed all of you.....

2 Attachment(s)
....I am one of them now.

"Lake Lice" :eek: :eek: :eek:

As much as I have hated Jet Ski's I bought one yesterday. 2005 Kawasaki STX-15F (1498cc). This thing is pretty quick. I ran it up to 60 yesterday (suppose to run 70) and it wasn't even breathing hard. Actually I bought it for the wife and kids to pull tubes around and just to have something to throw in the water to have some fun on. :drink: Dave

Waterfoul 05-05-2005 10:17 AM

Re: I've betrayed all of you.....

just stay out from between the tunnels of the big cats!!

t500hps 05-05-2005 10:20 AM

We have one of those too. (and a bassboat) Pulling the kids behind the jetski was part of the justification to get rid of the ski boat and get the Formula.
Have fun!!!

ernie davis 05-05-2005 10:20 AM

I used to have so much respect for you ..... :D
Sure...bought it for the wife and kids....right....

Iggy 05-05-2005 11:24 AM

I belive some body lied about how fast it's "supposed" to go. I recall the USCG put a 60 mph max limit on any jet-ski.

A few years back Yamaha unveiled a model that hit 80 mph out of the box. The USCG got wind of it, steped in and said enough is enough. The told the manufacturers if they continue with the speed war they would impose the full marine regulations on them. Meaning, lights, safety gear, floatation, fire equipment, etc. The manufacturers realized they could not meet the full regs so they agreed to a max speed limit of 60.
That's the story as I know it. Unless it's been changed, 60 mph is tops.

Chris288 05-05-2005 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Iggy
I belive some body lied about how fast it's "supposed" to go. I recall the USCG put a 60 mph max limit on any jet-ski.

A few years back Yamaha unveiled a model that hit 80 mph out of the box. The USCG got wind of it, steped in and said enough is enough. The told the manufacturers if they continue with the speed war they would impose the full marine regulations on them. Meaning, lights, safety gear, floatation, fire equipment, etc. The manufacturers realized they could not meet the full regs so they agreed to a max speed limit of 60.

Not true..... There was an agreement between all the manufacturers and the C.G. not to go above 65,, no laws.... from 1999 unitl 2004 the kawasaki ultra 150 was the fastest stock ski at 64-65,, then the C.G. manufacturers agreement exprired, and sea-doo then became the fastest stock ski with the RXP, which does 68-69,, there are no 80 mph stock ski's.. The fastest recorded 2-way pass was the outback steak house owner's Yamaha gp 1200 I believe the pass was around 83 mph,,, I also believe I heard he had over 50 K invested in that ski to make it go that fast..

Wardey 05-05-2005 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Iggy

I'll throw the GPS on it and check it after it's broke in. Those were speedo numbers I disclosed with full tank of fuel and (2) riders and I did not have the thing wide open. Still doing the break in thing. Dave

McGary911 05-05-2005 12:03 PM

I think i read a review in powerboat maybe, where they gathered a lot of go fast 'lice and radared them. Turned out that the factory literature overstated the top speed by about 10 mph. The good thing was that ALL the skis tested overstated by about the same 10 mph, so that it was still a good barometer when comparing, just dont compare it with the speed on your GPS.......

NetGain 05-05-2005 12:10 PM

I am getting one for the same reasons. kids outgrew tubing behind pontoon. What was the mark-up on that ski. I am looking at a Yamaha 1200.

Chris288 05-05-2005 12:15 PM

Dave,, This months watercraft world just did a shoot out of all the cruisers,, that ski should do 63-64 gps... My 1999 ultra 150 speedo consistantly reads 80-81,, my 2003 ultra 150 reads 59-60,, Both ski's do exactly 65-66... PWC speedo's are more notorious than boat speedo's for being WAYYYY off...