Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   VHF Radios...why are they all that ugly yellow/white plastic? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102482-vhf-radios-why-they-all-ugly-yellow-white-plastic.html)

Dave1972 05-05-2005 10:45 AM

VHF Radios...why are they all that ugly yellow/white plastic?

Just curious....why are most of the VHF radios I see in pictures of boats here on OSO a yellowish white plastic instead of the bright white like the rest of the dash/boat? Used and new I've seen this and it doesn't make sense to me...anyone care to elaborate? I know it's minor but even on some huge dollar boats they still have that ugly cheap look to them.

Wardey 05-05-2005 11:26 AM

Re: VHF Radios...why are they all that ugly yellow/white plastic?

1 Attachment(s)
After alot of exposure to the sun (UV Rays) it turns the plastic a yellow color. Dave

Dave1972 05-05-2005 11:37 AM

Thanks Dave...that was what I was originally thinking but I've seen many pictures here on OSO of new/newer boats and they all get that nasty yellow tint to them....was just curious why none of the other guages or radio coverplates turn that nasty yellow color. Oh well...no big deal...just that I hadn't figured it out. If I get one, I'll hide it from the sun I think :)

fund razor 05-05-2005 12:10 PM

Had good luck with uniden Oceanus.

It stayed white.

Quiet Storm 05-05-2005 12:35 PM

When I bought my boat getting rid of the ugly yellow radio was my first project. I went with a Uniden and hope to give it a lot of sun exposure this year. :D

Dave1972 05-05-2005 01:11 PM

Sounds like a resounding Uniden to come up with the fix of yellowing in their composite/plastics. Thanks!!!

bglz42 05-05-2005 01:11 PM

Uniden stays white...

MrCIG 05-05-2005 01:17 PM

Usually the the reason plastic turns yellow is because it's recycled plastic/vinyl. Virgin plastic/vinyl is much better but more expensive.

Mark

fund razor 05-05-2005 01:31 PM

On the same subject....
Newer Infinity Marine series speaker grills stay pretty white too.

Must be virgin plastic like Mark is talking about.

Waterfoul 05-05-2005 03:14 PM

More than likely the resin they are molded out of has no UV inhibitors in it. Or very little anyway. We mold many, many parts here that get direct sunlight and uv inhibitors are a requirement (auto parts). White is the worst, it turns yellow. Black is the second worst, it turns grey eventually.

And eventually, they will ALL change color. It's an inevitable fact of exposure to direct sunlight.

'Foul