Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sarasota Poor Mans Poker Run (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102499-sarasota-poor-mans-poker-run.html)

happy hours 05-07-2005 08:57 AM

Re: Sarasota Poor Mans Poker Run

I agree. A slowman (cheap) poker runs sounds good to us. And where the hell is beer can island? Is it the island in Tampa Bay that looks sorta like a rectangle? I think beers cans look sorta like that sometimes. Can't remember though. :)

JPD Motorsports 05-07-2005 11:45 AM

bear can island is at the north end of longboat key, before cocina beach(sp) I believe thats the beach name. Just north of the "pub" that opba uses for a lunch stop..

Johno 05-07-2005 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hard On
bear can island is at the north end of longboat key, before cocina beach(sp) I believe thats the beach name. Just north of the "pub" that opba uses for a lunch stop..

Beer Can Island is real close to Mc Dill, a mile or 2 short of Gandy Bridge. East of the main chanel to Gandy.
The Pub is in Indian Rocks beach just south of the "The Narrows" in the no wake zone. There are couple very small islands north of The Pub near the Bellair causeway.

CigBoat 05-07-2005 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Johno
Beer Can Island is real close to Mc Dill, a mile or 2 short of Gandy Bridge. East of the main chanel to Gandy.
The Pub is in Indian Rocks beach just south of the "The Narrows" in the no wake zone. There are couple very small islands north of The Pub near the Bellair causeway.

The beer can that Crown is talking about is the the very north tip of Long Boat Key if you are comming out of Long boat pass it is on the south side. Around the corner from Mar Vista!!

Formula Outlaw 05-07-2005 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BAJABOAT
The beer can that Crown is talking about is the the very north tip of Long Boat Key if you are comming out of Long boat pass it is on the south side. Around the corner from Mar Vista!!

That may be tricky getting in and out of there now from the storms last year. I went over the bridge at low tide and it was basically all sand where the boats used to be able to get through. I'll double check it next time I'm up that way.

JPD Motorsports 05-07-2005 04:32 PM

boy I was hopping that was the one, thats the only one that I knew of down there, tampa might have there own beer can as well. We need pics now!!!!

cuda 05-07-2005 04:53 PM

I'm pretty sure there are two different Beer Can islands down there.

Johno 05-07-2005 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BAJABOAT

Great, I'll be in Tampa , everyone else in Sarasota :eek: I bet there are several Island with a Beer... something name.
That sandbar at the pass near Mar Vista is pretty silted up & shallow. It is a nice protected area, with all the wind we have been having this year.

Formula Outlaw 05-07-2005 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Johno
Great, I'll be in Tampa , everyone else in Sarasota :eek: I bet there are several Island with a Beer... something name.
That sandbar at the pass near Mar Vista is pretty silted up & shallow. It is a nice protected area, with all the wind we have been having this year.

Yeah, silted up is right. Last time I went past there at low tide it was basically all sand.

CigBoat 05-08-2005 10:14 AM

We have been up there a few times this year and while it is different than last year (you now have to go through the bridge to get around the back side) it is pretty easy to get in and out. I have been in there with the bullet though the tide was comming in while we were there though. The past few times it has been nice out there are always a bunch of boats up there.