Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone use a "keel protector"? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102782-anyone-use-keel-protector.html)

thisistank 05-09-2005 04:45 PM

Anyone use a "keel protector"?

Like the ones they sell at West Marine made to protect the keel when beaching? Do they work well?

offshoredrillin 05-09-2005 04:51 PM

Re: Anyone use a "keel protector"?

I have some 20mil clear Paint protection film that is 3 1/2 inches wide. the best thing about it is it is replaceable, its much less expensive to replace the film then have to do a Gelcoat repair or paint. I can cut it in any length needed. It has 3M adheasive. Let me know if anyone is interested, I'm putting it on my tiger as soon as it's painted. We also Tested on Nor-techs and will be designing kits soon for their sides...Rob

carney 05-09-2005 04:51 PM

I do not use one my self , we can not beach on seneca lake. But it is funny you ask , for I saw lots of boats around lake havasue poker run weekend that had them on. I thought they might work well. When you are on plane they should be out of the water.

racer-x6 05-09-2005 04:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I put one on a friend's boat, so when he crashed into the trailer it would just rud off. :D

burtandnancy 05-09-2005 05:25 PM

I've used them on many boats (at Lake Mead) and they are great. I started at the lower strake and went back 8 or 12 feet depending on the boat length. No need to run them up the the deck unless you're beaching on a verticle cliff.

offshoredrillin 05-09-2005 05:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is the film we use on headlights. once its on the paint it's virtually invisible. and at 20 mils thinck it wouldnt scrub speed hardly at all...Rob

thisistank 05-09-2005 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
here is the film we use on headlights. once its on the paint it's virtually invisible. and at 20 mils thinck it wouldnt scrub speed hardly at all...Rob

My only concern with that stuff is, is it thick enough to prevent a ding/chip from a submerged rock while beaching? The plastic, like in the pic above, looks to be thicker.

Thanks for all the replies. I ask because I had rubbed the gel all the way down on my last boat from beaching in havasu :eek:

offshoredrillin 05-09-2005 05:58 PM

The film on highway use will take a 1 inch round rock at 100 mph and still not break. The difference is the speed you are beaching and the material your beaching on, if its sand with some small rocks you should be fine, if its bigger then beach in a diff spot :), i just had the bow repainted on my 311 and I'm going to put it on. I'll get some pics and you guys can be the judge...Rob

Sean H 05-09-2005 07:35 PM

how much is the 3 1/2 inch stuff and what lengths does it come in....???

Magic Medicine 05-09-2005 08:09 PM

My buddies and has one on his boat and it works great. One of the rivers we boat on, we always beach our boats. I think that it is a must have, it is total out of the water when he is on plane. I am going to put one on my boat this summer.

With that being said, Anyone know the name and number of the guy that sells and install these in Cedar Springs