Notices

salt water/ fresh water

Old 08-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default salt water/ fresh water

I could use some help
I am looking at a particular style boat
and found one with a good price in MA. the boat only has 200 hours on it but is moored in salt water, it has a bravo 3 drive
and a 7.4 litre motor not closed cooled
I have also found some similar fresh water models
but with slightly higher prices

example: salt water 200 hrs with triple axel trailer 31,000

fresh: 140 hours no trailer 34,000

both similar power and identical boats

what are adverse effects on a salt water boat

and which would be the better boat in your opinion

these are both the asking prices that i will try to negotiate
i am just not familiar with salt water, and the effects on motor and drives

thanks for any help
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

I am going thru a saltwater boat with 350 plus hours on it. Replacing ALOT of things, and it was dry stored I belive.
I can only imagine what damage one that is moored would be.

Personaly I would pay the extra and go with the freshwater boat if had to do again.
My 2 cents
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

I have always been a salt water boater and am not "afraid" of it like many seem to be BUT

If that boat is moored in salt water and spends many months on end in salt water I would run from it. It could possibly cost you a fortune in short order I would guess.

Saltwater that isn't flushed out will eat up blocks, heads, exhaust, coolers, etc... AND takes it's toll on drives and assemblies quickly too and you have no idea how much money is hanging down in the salt water until you start replacing it.

A nice,used aluminum trailer for a boat like that could cost you 2-3k.

All else equal, buy the fresh one....
Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

That's an interesting question, I myself have often wondered about the effects on a boat that was used in salt water. From what I have only heard, no experience or facts, is that a boat that is in a salt water environment, deteriorates much faster then one that is in freshwater. To explain what I mean when I say deteriorates the boat, I mean engine, out drives and electrical, which corrodes from the salt water and the salt water humidity. I have also heard, that a boat which is from a salt water environment deteriorates much faster once it is brought into a fresh water environment and I am not talking about the fiberglass. I also would like to hear opinions and facts.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I agree. I have been running boats only in salt water for years. I have seen some things rot away that you wuld never think could. I too am not afraid of salt, but you have to take precautions when living in it. A boat can last in salt, IF maintained properly. If the boat was @ a mooring, I highly doubt the engine was ever flushed, it would most likely be impossible to do so. In salt, Bravo 3 drives are notorious for eating up zincs. If they are not replaced, the next thing that gets eaten up is the aluminum drive case.
My advice, run from the moored salt water boat.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:14 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
I have also heard, that a boat which is from a salt water environment deteriorates much faster once it is brought into a fresh water environment and I am not talking about the fiberglass. I also would like to hear opinions and facts.
I have never heard of that. In fact, I bought my boat, 6 m onths old, from a guy who ran it on a fresh water lake. It had no ill efects when I got it over to the salt. A friend bought his 35 Sonic from a guy who ran on a lake. No ill effects either.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My boat is in salt water, but I flush everytime and maintain everything. You would never know my boat was a salt boat - it is all about how it was maintained.
I agree with above - if it was kept in water, I too doubt it was flushed, washed and maintained properly. I would likely pass.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Registered

thanks for all the good replies

think i might take the fresh water one
Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I have never heard of that. In fact, I bought my boat, 6 m onths old, from a guy who ran it on a fresh water lake. It had no ill efects when I got it over to the salt. A friend bought his 35 Sonic from a guy who ran on a lake. No ill effects either.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between me & my Dad, we've owned several I/O powered boats and kept them in salt water for the season.

.....and neither of us will ever do it again.

From here on out it's outboard power or installing a lift at my parent's place. As stated above, salt water mooring is really tough on outdrives and other underwater hardware (like tabs), and makes flushing difficult if not impossible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.