Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   XM Radio questions??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102930-xm-radio-questions.html)

Poorsche 05-11-2005 02:25 PM

Re: XM Radio questions???

The new Roadie is the chits--have 3 of them and always tke one to the boat with the integrated FM modulator.

Never had a problem.

Ben@SRP 05-11-2005 04:14 PM

My XM is GREAT! No problems and I just bought a second unit for Laura for her car. Ok, really I bought me a new SKYFI2 unit and gave Laura my old SkyFI unit. :rolleyes:
Bottom line, I haven't listen to Sirius, but I do really like satellite radio overall, I'm sure they both have pros and cons.
Good luck and I say, AM/FM who?

tiufb 05-11-2005 04:48 PM

Depending on the model of Sony stereo you have, direct wire adapters are now available so you don't have to use an FM modulator which degrades the signal from digital to analog. With a Universal Tuner Box, part # XMD1000 and a Smart Digital Adapter part # XMDSON100, you can use your radio controls for XM also. Of course this does not give you the plug and play that will go from the boat to the house or car. I've had good luck with the Delphi Skyfi2. If your stereo is XM ready, it should say so on the front. Good luck.

pm203 05-11-2005 04:49 PM

Just installed Xm in the boat.Have it in both cars and love it.

Outdrive1 05-11-2005 07:52 PM

I had the Alpine units with the direct connect Alpine Xm recievers in my truck and boat and really loved it, I'm switching to Sirrius now because of the football package and for Howard Stern. Alpine offers Sirrius now as a direct connection as well as Xm. I believe they maybe the only ones to offer both. As far a loosing signal, I never had a problem with the Xm on the lake or in the truck even driving through the 1/2 mile tunnel we have downtown. You must have an installation problem or blocked antenna to stop the signal. I think the services are pretty comparable and I would agree that you probably couldn't tell the difference in sound quality. The football issue is huge with me and so is the Stern deal. Big NFL and Stern fan........... Nothing worse than being on the lake or driving around on Sunday and not being able to get any games, that sucks..... Just my .02.

Not to get off the subject but you can get quite an assortment of different add on units, Xm Roadie, Delphi and there are probably a dozen more. Most of them have the FM modulator and rca outputs for decks that have and aux input. If your Sony is an XM ready deck than Sony sells a reciever that will connect directly to your deck. The delphi system is pretty cool because you can put in you house, car, boat, boom box etc. and just pay for one subscription. Check crutchfield, Best buy, Sears, or any of the big electronics stores and you will find one of these systems. Costco also had a system for sale with a boom box, and car kit for a decent price, I think it was around 199.99 but I'm not positive on the price or name of it. They are every now and the modulated system is easy to install, power, ground, mount antenna, connect anntena wire to reciever and connect reciever to antenna wire on the back of your deck. Then all you have to do is mount the docking station somewhere in your boat. It should take anyone that can read directions an hour or two tops.

Sea Ya 05-12-2005 02:35 PM

I've been an XM customer for three years, built in and portable. Just bought a Delphi MyFi. I can lay it on the dash board - no wires and it will broadcast to the fm radio. Built in antenna and fm modulator. In the boat it will broadcast to my stereo and the boats on both sides of me. NASCAR on Sundays.

Andy Buzz 05-12-2005 09:40 PM

I recommend the new Clarion combo with Sirius. The radio is the most durable for marine application and its satelite input is direct therefore avoiding the use of a modulator.

Andy Buzz
Maximum Audio
Tampa FL

rdp145 05-13-2005 08:20 AM

If you have xm or want to buy one try ..www.myraidostore.us/ they have some pretty good prices and accessories.

Wardey 05-13-2005 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Andy Buzz
I recommend the new Clarion combo with Sirius. The radio is the most durable for marine application and its satelite input is direct therefore avoiding the use of a modulator.

Andy Buzz
Maximum Audio
Tampa FL

This is what I use also. Dave

boss252 05-13-2005 12:16 PM

I have Sirius. I have the Kenwood Here to anywhere unit so I can use it in my truck,boat, wife's car and at home. I had XM but I like Sirius better. you can also listen to it over the internet while at work. Sirius does cost a little more.