Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why IO over OB? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103075-why-io-over-ob.html)

Rocco 05-13-2005 08:22 AM

Re: Why IO over OB?

Tim,

Is there a 300+hp in the future for Evinrude? There has been alot of talk about this issue on screamandfly.com

vtec 05-13-2005 08:48 AM

IO's have a lower center of gravity(CG), which is preferable for most performance vehicles.

Tim G. 05-13-2005 08:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Rocco-
There certainly is plans for a bigger HP ob..
The current 3.3l/200CI block has capacity for 80hp per cylinder...That's 480hp.
I have heard talk of 400hp powerheads running in testing..
But the reality is reliability.... BRP won't let it out until they are confident that Joe Boater will not ruin it due to misuse...
400hp powerhead is nice..but you need to have the other parts to go with it... Will the lower hold up? Drive shaft? Trim system?

You'll see something bigger, but it will be a little while.
BRPs next ETec launch is the mid size- 115/130 v4s and the 150,175, and 200 small block v6s..

I ran this sweet motor all last week... 225HO... Great power, high sped gearcase, LWP, 247hp at the prop. On a 20' basser, 2 people 3/4 tank fuel...78mph! Plenty dangerous :eek: 1.85 gears, 28p 3 blade, 6,000rpm... :D

Donzi38ZX 05-13-2005 09:46 AM

Is it true that is illegal in the US to modify an outboard? Thought I saw that on one of the boards in the past. If so, that may be a minus for those who like to tinker.

Tim G. 05-13-2005 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Donzi38ZX
Is it true that is illegal in the US to modify an outboard? Thought I saw that on one of the boards in the past. If so, that may be a minus for those who like to tinker.

Technically it is "not legal" to tamper with anything that can change the emmissions output of any engine that is CARB or EPA rated.
That said, don't touch your 496mags.... :rolleyes:

So lets say your OB is a 3 star engine and you modify it a bit.. It's fine so long as it still pases 3 star emmissions...

Need-the-Speed 05-13-2005 10:36 AM

Is Cost a factor?? I guess what I'm thinking is that you can get a 496mag h.o (425 h.p) less than you can get the number of of O.B's to equal the same h.p.. How much is a 225 Optimax?....... times two.
I like the sound of both. Something about a set of 2.5's screaming by at 100 mph :)

Tim G. 05-13-2005 10:44 AM

Most 225hp DIs (Opti, Etec, HPDI) will cost about $16k. retail is more like 18k.

What's a 496ho with Bravo priced at.... Yes, less than $32k. But that same boat with twin 225s will be faster and have better holeshot.

Then there's fuel...
The 250 Etec burns about 20gph at WOT with a good load. So thats 40gph for twins. A single 496ho will burn at least 40gph..probably 50.
If we're talking $$$.. Don't even bring up maintenance costs... :eek:

yahoo 05-13-2005 10:48 AM

Rumor has it Merc is testing a 400hp + verado.

Its a little heavy but still lighter than a V-8

Tim G. 05-13-2005 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by yahoo
Rumor has it Merc is testing a 400hp + verado.

Its a little heavy but still lighter than a V-8

I have heard like rumors...
I also heard that they have a big block Verado in the works.
The current engine is a 2.6l... It would never support 400hp...
Hopefully their new version will be less dependant on the supercharger.

A little heavy???? A little? The whale is about 160lb heavier than a DI two stroke.
It would be conceivable to build a 2 stroke V8 Ob...in say 4.5 liter and still be lighter than the current 2.6l Verado.

If I was Merc, which I'm not, I'd put more work into their Optis and 250XS.. They have potential to be great motors.

hillbilly24 05-13-2005 11:33 AM

I was jusy over in the tech secyion and there is an arguement going on over there about Carbs VS EFI. This is a simialiar argument if you ask me. As I said over there, it's like comparing a Ferrari to a 1 ton pickup truck. They both have their place and purposse. As far as cost, when you add it all up, they are pretty even in the long run and the O/B may even be just a little cheaper. Higher initial cost for the same power, but less cost over time for alot less cost over time for fuel and maintenance. O/B and I/O HP are not realy comprable numbers either. A 225 O/B will move the same boat alot faster than a 225 HP I/O would.