Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Southwest Florida Powerboaters--> (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103082-southwest-florida-powerboaters.html)

LEOPAJM 05-16-2005 11:19 AM

Re: Southwest Florida Powerboaters-->

Originally Posted by salesmanship
Having lived in MO most of my life there is one thing I miss. Although there's Ft Myers beach to some extent but no real hangout for like minded boaters. We need to establish some sort of "Party Cove"
Who's with me?
TS

The little bay just south of the "Lovers Key dog walk" would be an ideal spot for a new "party cove" ?????
:drink:

JM

salesmanship 05-16-2005 11:45 AM

I was thinking about the cove at Shell Island. Problem with the beach is you can't raft up if there's any kind of wind/waves. The Lovers Key area sounds good too.

salesmanship 05-16-2005 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by warbird
Terry, how 'bout the canal right behind your house? As I recall it's pretty wide...Palacco, right?

Great Idea. With the gas money I'll save I'll buy the beer!
The neighbors will love it. :drink:

Maritime_Eng 05-16-2005 03:46 PM

But if all the Powerboats were in the canal what would the Sailboaters b#$ch about!

The Menace 05-16-2005 04:04 PM

I like the Lover's Key idea at New Pass. It's only about 2 miles north of my house.

Terry, remember they used to have Thunder Sunday's at the Channelmark restaurant? Tim has really cleaned that place up but a great happy hour. High end cocktails at 1/2 price.

formula1 05-16-2005 04:40 PM

Sorry, I've been away from the computer. :( Thanks for all the posts. I couldn't quite swing a Gulf access canal, but found a nice place on the 7 lakes section of Cape Coral. Shamrock Lake to be exact. Of course, I'm sure ya'll will here about me soon enough when I splash the ol' 292SR1 in that freshwater lake system! I don't think my neighbors will be real happy! :evilb:

MegaByte*3 05-16-2005 04:54 PM

I'd vote for the beach at New Pass. I believe that is the beach by the Lovers Key dog walk you are referring to. There's a nice current to carry you and a beer on a floatie around the island. When you get out to the pass, you paddle to the beach, walk back to the bay side and start all over. I would happily buy a bunch of beer for the first Monthly outing.

Tom

Scarabdude 05-22-2005 02:30 PM

I was at shell island in St.Pete yesterday, it was a full house. I think that if we are going to have a "party cove" down here we need to have a place for all types of boats,it needs to be near the canals or inter-coastal, and sheltered from the gulf. I like the new pass idea, may go there for memorial day weekend.

The Menace 05-22-2005 03:10 PM

There is a good beach area on the south side when entering New Pass from the Gulf. Every weekend there are many boats(mostly deck boats).

However, what would really be top shelf is to pick a place with great dockage, food, tiki bar and rest rooms for the women.

Cabbage Key would be great but the dockage for offshores is limited. The Channel Mark, The Bridge (very tight area), Mantanzza's, The Green Flash, are some of the options without going downtown.

salesmanship 05-23-2005 09:26 AM

However, what would really be top shelf is to pick a place with great dockage, food, tiki bar and rest rooms for the women.

That's a good idea but I can't think of a place where you could show up with more than a few boats and find a dock for everyone. A true Party Cove is a bay or beach where everyone could just get together and hang out.
Lovers Key sounds good or Shell Point would be another.