Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Southwest Florida Powerboaters--> (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103082-southwest-florida-powerboaters.html)

formula1 05-12-2005 11:39 PM

Southwest Florida Powerboaters-->

Well finally did it! Sold the house in Va, moving to the Cape Coral house first week of June! :D Now what?!! Any of my fellow OSO'ers near me? I need to get acquainted in this new boater's paradise and make some new friends! :p

Formula Outlaw 05-13-2005 06:27 AM

Re: Southwest Florida Powerboaters-->

Welcome to the plywo, err, sunshine state.

First: buy a generator, big as possible.

I live about an hour north of you. In Nokomis, (north side of Venice).

Don't know a lot about your area except Sanibel Island and Grandma Dot's. I know there's a lot of performance boaters in that area.

OPBA is doing a very big July 4th Poker Run to coincide with the July 4th boat races in Sarasota. The poker run will start and end in Sarasota with the Hyatt being the host hotel.

I'll be doing a "Citizens for Florida's Waterways" poker run later in the season.

Again, welcome....Russ

formula1 05-13-2005 06:51 AM

Thanks, I was reading about the "Poor mans poker run"! Sounds like fun! :cool:

salesmanship 05-13-2005 09:21 AM

It's official Cape Coral, the place to be!
Welcome to the neighborhood. Get ready for some summertime humidity.
Call me anytime.
Terry
239-567-5030 x 14

Maritime_Eng 05-13-2005 11:00 AM

Formula1

Welcome to Cape Coral. I just moved down a few weeks ago and love it here. No way I would move back to Minnesota, they are still getting snow!
If you see a mostly white formula 311 out in front of fort myers beach stop by and say hi!

Don

AGGRAVATION28 05-13-2005 12:54 PM

Come on down, weather and water are great. Been in Ft Myers 3 1/2 years and moved over to Cape Coral a couple months ago. Lots of performance boats here, although not well organized in a particular group or "gang". Where in the cape are you moving to? What kind of boat do you have?

PS Get a set of charts, GPS, and STAY IN THE CHANNELS. Lots of water but lots of shallow areas and prop bending crap.

salesmanship 05-13-2005 01:50 PM

Having lived in MO most of my life there is one thing I miss. Although there's Ft Myers beach to some extent but no real hangout for like minded boaters. We need to establish some sort of "Party Cove"
Who's with me?
TS

Scarabdude 05-13-2005 05:52 PM

I agree, Fort Myers doesn't have any party place like Shell Island in St.Pete. There are many boaters here, but if you want to hang out with the boaters all you have to do is pack a cooler and drive your car over to Lani Kai. I wish there was a place for boaters to socialize with other boaters.

The Menace 05-13-2005 06:07 PM

There are not that many places that will handle large boats. Holiday Inn downtown, Burnt Store. But not that many places to gather and hang out with your boat. Cabbage Key, Tweenies are neat places but your fighting every 17 to 18 ft boat on the intercoastal for a dock.

Dumont's Marine is moving inland and will be a dry dock marine service. It is questionable if the 93 fuel service will continue. Where else is 93 available?

hugetime1 05-13-2005 09:31 PM

I may come down and play soon