Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why it's not "big" time (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103500-why-its-not-big-time.html)

Sean H 05-18-2005 06:15 PM

Re: Why it's not "big" time

Originally Posted by fund razor
The real problem is that there is no infield for rednecks to park their RVs, yella buses and Uhaul campers.

I can't believe you guys missed this. :D

:drink:

there out there, they just don't float very well..... :D

hillbilly24 05-18-2005 07:29 PM

This is a never ending argument. Many people try and compare boat racing the NASCAR and it's realy not a fair comparison. lets not forget that NASCAR only became the "bigshow" due to a HUGE stroke of luck. In 1973 ciggerate advertising was banned on TV, R.J Reynolds, among others, was left with a huge advertising budget, they saw The former Grand National series (pre Winston cup) as a way to get back on TV and work around the laws, it was a winner for everyone for a long time, 30 years. I hav pit crewed on several teams on the "grass roots" level. Mostly Western Formula Lites" but also some NJBA (squirter boats) We has a 10-12 race schedule and anywhere from 8-14 classes at each event. The class I was involved with the most was SST 45. We typicly had 20-30 boats per event, and there were 2 or 3 qualifiers to to decide who ran in the main event and starting order. If we took first, the check was ussually around 500 bucks, doesn't even pay the fuel for the weekend. You know what though, no one cared. Boat racers are a diffrent breed, we do it cuase we love it, not for the money. I think if you talked to most offshore racers, and fans, they would prefer to see the old school Miami to Bimmini and miami to New York races. No they are not fan friendly at all, they could be televised and I think they would make a hell of a "show" , it used to anyway. if you want my honest opinion, there was one man that realy screwed up the program, he cuased the whole mess that brang about 3 diffrent sanctiouning bodies, and he ruined offsahore racing and tried to trun it into inshore racing, his name was Micheal Alweiss. I'm sure this will start some talking(or yelling) but I was just stating my opinion. Bottom line is, I don't think most offshore racers do it for money, if that was the plan they need to seek better financial advice. They do it cuase they love it, and the reason for dwindling turn out in the offshore classes is the exponitionly rising cost of being competive in the sport. Budgets have tripled and quadrupled in the last few years. There isn't anything we can do about it, technology is just moving so fast. It wasn't that long ago that an 1800 HP engine that would run for 50-100 hours was unheard of, now they exist. things have changed and we can't do anything about it.

cuda 05-18-2005 07:38 PM

I kind of agree with the old style racing. It may not be fan freindly, but the fans on the shore aren't paying anyway, and after the first lap, nobody knows who is racing who. I try to follow racing, and I can't tell.

Maybe they could set up a Miami to Bimini run. They could set up a big pavillion with closed circuit tv where once the boats were out of sight, they could follow it on tv. Then maybe sell the footage to a cable tv system.

With real old fashion offshore racing, there wouldn't be nearly as many boats looking to get their boat fit into a certain class.

Just one of my many mini thoughts.

H20 Toie 05-18-2005 07:56 PM

Of course they do it for the money, Haven't you heard powerboat racing is the fastest way to become a millionare, only problem is that you have to be a multimillionare to get started. :)

The Menace 05-18-2005 08:02 PM

Welcome to the board. Excellent presentation of your thoughts.

hillbilly24 05-18-2005 08:06 PM

By the way boatnut, it was a good frist post and welcome to the board, you know you can never go back to "lurker" status though. Although I disagree with you on some, well most points, you gave us more then a one line pop shot. I hope we can all continue the discussion without things getting silly.

Donzi Corleone 05-18-2005 08:09 PM

It's because people have hidden agendas and you get that feeling when all those events come together,Post count.

tomtbone1993 05-18-2005 08:16 PM

to make it more fair for the rest of the boats, place Fountain in a league of their own.......... :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

I agree with Boatnutz, hell of a first post, I also think the sport needs to take babysteps to get to be Nascar. They need to put on a good show, for the fans, 1st Race 2nd, I like Boatnutz ideas. Tom

Pete B 05-18-2005 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=cuda]I kind of agree with the old style racing. It may not be fan freindly, but the fans on the shore aren't paying anyway, and after the first lap, nobody knows who is racing who. I try to follow racing, and I can't tell.

I would like to suggest you come to Ft, Myers to the http://www.edisonoiloffshoreraceforrecovery.com/ and watch a OSS race. thier formula has only 5 classes, And very fan friendly. wether by boat or on top of the lani kai, the beach the pier there wont be a bad viewing of this race. I am certain all will enjoy it.

hillbilly24 05-18-2005 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
to make it more fair for the rest of the boats, place Fountain in a league of their own.......... :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

I agree with Boatnutz, hell of a first post, I also think the sport needs to take babysteps to get to be Nascar. They need to put on a good show, for the fans, 1st Race 2nd, I like Boatnutz ideas. Tom

What league would that be, the class for boats that are 8 feet shorter then the rest of the competition, weighing less, and running special edetion Reggie resealed motors, therefor they have an unfair advantage ? :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: