Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why it's not "big" time (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103500-why-its-not-big-time.html)

stinger312 05-20-2005 12:09 PM

Re: Why it's not "big" time

let,s not forget that offshore at one time did have big money sponsors, Bacardi, Champion,Anheuser Bush, Hennessey,And this was back when the boats actually raced out in the ocean..
when I look at a lot of the old school photos here on OSO there seems to be no shortage of people watching those races
from the shore and definitely no shortage of spectator boats ether. There was nothing wrong with offshore racing the way it was, it just lacked good TV coverage. T2X has some of the best, most exciting racing footage ever recorded and we are only getting to see it now... 20+ YEARS AFTER THE FACT!!! :eek: I hope to see more DVDs from them... and I would like to see the APBA / SBI take some hints and a good look back at the past and see how exciting this sport was and could be... Just my .02

Boatnutz 05-20-2005 01:28 PM

Stinger 312- There were some big name sponsors onboard way back when. Ofcourse the Bacardi name carries over into today's racing but it is alone on the island. Anyway, the whole sports scene has changed dramatically and now sponsorships are based on exposures. That's where the tv was so important. It gave a mass exposure along with the exposure on-site. Problem is now, the television is being bought by the sanctioning bodies so we've seen the shows fall to Outdoor Network which is no where close to ESPN, ESPN2 or Speed. I am guessing that the OSS "show" is part of a series on Outdoor Channel as opposed to being a stand alone hour like it was. I am not real familiar with SBI/APBA's effort either so I maybe off a bit. It's somewhat the same problem the NHL is having right now. Their deal with NBC is the league pays for the production costs and air time and then splits with the network anything over that. Obviously, high player salaries play against the league having the money needed but until the sport gets considered "major" by the networks they have no choice but to buy the time. Boat racing has bought the time ever since I can remember. (Exception - Unlimited Hydroplane Racing on ABC's Wide World of Sports)
Television is limited by helicopter range and the amount of cameras needed to cover something like Ft. Lauderdale to the Bahamas. Donald Trump talked about wanting to televise the race he was putting on in Atlantic City. The day of the race the fog rolled in ... it would have killed a live signal. Satellites and such provide more technology but technology comes at a big time price.
SHANE B - You had me smiling. You are right about the "old" days and how the teams would show up and such. I'll tell you another angle. At one point I was asked about taking over the sport. I met with the owners and told them they would have to put up around $300,000 to $400,000 each in an escrow acount in my name. They looked at me stunned and asked why when they were going to pay such-and-such. I told them that from what I could see the rules of the sport were made by the ones who had the most money on the table and as I had no money close to what they had so I needed a stake to play at the table.
Things have changed somewhat and that's a good thing. Now I revert to the original premise of this thread ... in essence ... where does it go from here?

Boatnutz 05-20-2005 01:32 PM

Stinger 312-One more thing. You are right on about T2X and Darren. You are talking a real love of the sport in those two and thanks to them the archives are now in good hands.

ScottB 05-20-2005 01:54 PM

I look at it is that we have been developing a product over the last 30 years and it is a pretty good product. The product is not ready to go into production because it needs to be tweeked. The corporate brass keeps changing there minds and have different ideas in wich the product should be done. Over the years some of the brass got fed up and tried to develop there own version of the product and none have succeeded at the level of expectation they talk about. This widget has to many moving parts and needs to be simplified.
If I were looking to sell my version of this product, I would simplify it to the nth degree. If I had a little money to burn,
I would take a class like SVL invite them to a race (there is about 10 out there). No entry fees, free rooms, fuel, and tow money, Have a decent 25k purse.
I would run a short course 1mile straits, 25 lap race.
On board cameras facing front/back and in the cockpit. Camera boats on each turn, helo, and beach with a very excitiable announcer like Stan who does the SBI races now and knows the game. Have a production company edit all the best parts of the race together with the front, back, on board, and other footage such as pre race interviews with a little smack talk.
Put it all together and try to sell the pilot to Discovery, fox, or some other station as almost a reality show.

Boatnutz 05-20-2005 02:26 PM

ScottB- Right on the head! It goes back to the organizations and their goals again. It would have to be one whale of a product for the networks to buy the program but then again if you had a whale of a product you'd have sponsors interested. I can tell you for sure that if you take a sponsored show to the outlets, they would have interest.
I have to head out for the weekend as it is jammed as is Monday and Tuesday of next week but I will hope to continue this at some point. Those who have responded have had some great thoughts and I hope it doesn't stop with posts but rather continues not only here but in the pits and elsewhere. I am fearful that the two organziations that have evolved at this point are going to be into the ego thing and I don't know how to overcome that as it has been the problem for awhile.
To those racing this weekend safe journey's and safe racing ... if the thread is still up next week I'll be back then.

Ron P 05-20-2005 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shane B
I also think it is unfair to penalize a team for doing there homework and preparing there boat for that weekend I have seen it time and time again were some teams have brought there boat to the race and haven't touched it from the race before.

Shane, that's the same thing Reggie said. Winners hate parity because it slows them down. The rest of the field likes it because it finally gives them a chance to beat you.

How do you do it? Simple. Add some weight each time you win and take some out each time you finish in third or below.

Do you think fans would prefer to watch a run away race or side by side racing with several lead changes.

Ron P 05-20-2005 04:18 PM

I know what your saying. Its a touchy subject and there's a lot of different ways to look at the subject.

What would you do/think if a new boat entered your class and ran away with every race. You know you're at the peak of your game and you'll never catch him....unless you buy a new hull, just like it.

Slow him down or let him dominate the class? Like I said earlier, it's all about who the customer is. If the racers are the customers then Shane wins the argument. If the fans are the customers then parity will come into play because the fans want to see close racing.

Again I'll ask, Do you think fans would prefer to watch a run away race or side by side racing with several lead changes?

BTW- best conversation in a long time.

Cash Bar 05-20-2005 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shane B
Example there are 6 teams in a class 2 or 3 have a chance at winning at any given time but the other 3 or 4 teams have no chance on winning unless the top boats break, do you penalize the teams winning or do you leave it as is?

This is why I'm on the Med boats this year instead of in SS class. The Doug Wrights are still a little out of my $$ range(and on waiting list) and they have won all the SBI/APBA races and 1/2 OSS races. The only competitive AMT is the Berry Cuda boat and it is a one-off epoxy boat. The boats that were/are for sale, are-get-what-you-pay-for deals. Good boats at a great price, but your best hope is to finish in the top 3 if a couple of boats break. I can't get/maintain sponsorships while bringing up the rear. :(

The solution has been to take off a year, hope to drive for someone else, while getting in line for a Doug Wright so I can have a CHANCE of being competitive.

Ron P 05-20-2005 05:55 PM

I believe Cash is saying, if he could buy an older hull and be competitive because of parity, there would be another SS team on the course this year, but since he doesn't have a shot at winning because he can't afford the "good stuff", he'll sit it out until he can.

Something like that. I'll take that as a yes vote for parity.

Like I said, winners hate it, everyone else sees it as their salvation.

Cash Bar 05-20-2005 10:52 PM

Correct, RonP.

After reading my own post it does seem to ramble around the point. :rolleyes: