Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kaama whats the word? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103599-kaama-whats-word.html)

KAAMA 05-28-2005 12:50 AM

Re: Kaama whats the word?

Incornet,

That's a good question, and no, actually I am not kidding, but you're right I probably didn't need to buy them. Back 5 years ago when I initially bought the boat the engines (454's) were kind of screwed up and one of the 454's had the timing going in reverse direction when you reved the engine past 2500rpm or so with the timing light on it---it was really strange, and sounded like a problem most never heard of, or at least something nobody was very familiar with because we called around, and asked a lot of people with vast amounts of experience, and wisdom with engines, and nobody was able to figure it out. Many thought it was the cam walking or thought perhaps the timing chain jumed so we pulled the timing chain cover and checked the timing marks. We never did find the problem. I suspect one reason could probably be because the MSD distributors weren't really set up for marine use, and they were all rusty inside and the guy I had working on it back then tried everything to fix it, we tried different MSD boxes, checked the wires, checked for cam walk, etc, etc, new plugs, adjusted the lifters, but he still insisted it wasn't the distributors. I suppose we could have rebuilt the distributors, but he checked them out, and put new caps/rotors on them, but still didn't see anything unusuall that would cause the timing to retard. One thing we didn't do that we should have done was that we didn't switch distributors between the two 454's at the time. That was 5 years ago and hind sight is always 20/20 I guess.

From what I have learned in the past from other boaters is that the MSD distributors were known for rusting out pretty quick, and in my case may have effected the pick-up within the distributor to some degree---we don't exactly know as there were too many other things wrong with the engines and I ended up pulling those 454" engines, and wanted to have some completely different engines with more cubes built anyway. All I knew was that I didn't want to go through that again and the crank trigger's I felt were inexpensive enough to try. So, I asked around and some other guys like you said I probably didn't really need them either, but that they were very accurate, and don't move once set in place, and wouldn't have to worry about using the pick-up within the distributors and it sounded like a pretty decent idea, and good decision at the time so, I thought "what the heck". Glad your MSD distributors are working well for you. I'm not an expert, but can only offer you what I have experienced and whether the crank triggers were truely needed or not for whatever the reason it's too late, I've got them now, and might as well use them. Works for me. Anyway, hope that answers your question.

Doug 05-28-2005 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't keep a secret any longer. Sorry Kaama :p

PatriYacht 05-28-2005 06:28 PM

That's just ****ing wonderful Doug. Now I have to go out and buy a magnifying glass. :crazy:

Doug 05-29-2005 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just double click on the attchment Ian but Ichornet is right. That is my sheet with BDS 1471's.

Can't wait to see Kaama and Quiet Storm back out in the lake with there boats. I'm sure it will be with big smiles. :D

dyno 05-29-2005 10:31 AM

enough pickin on Mark lets all get wrenching!!! I hope to get mine back asap but need to do a few things on the bilge before I'm ready. and then there is the dry stack issue I may have to order them If Wesco Daves angle falls through.Wish me luck Dyno's numbers to follow as soon as we hit the stand look out 330's on roids!!! :D

KAAMA 05-29-2005 04:28 PM

Dyno's engines are in the batter's box. I saw his blocks on the engine stands today covered in plastic bags, and ready for assembly at WESCO's shop, Doug's engine is on deck, and a naturally aspirated 572cid engine for for a single engine, heavy fishing boat application being hooked up on the dyno for one of his buddies. Dave's rule is that if you have him build your engine(s) that he dyno's EVERY engine that he builds no matter what.

The 572" has a dual plane GM intake on it, a small hydraulic roller cam, and some cast iron GM oval port heads (049 castings) on it with no port work---they might have larger valves though, but I will have to find out. Anyway, I'm sure it ought to be quite interesting to see what that torque brute turns out. :D

KAAMA 05-31-2005 07:25 PM

Update on the 572cid, 8.5 comp ratio fishing boat engine dyno test. The engine makes 650 foot pounds of torque @2800rpm, and makes 495hp peak @4900rpm----not bad for a fishing engine. It has a Holley carb with vacuum secondaries, but Dave wants to try a carb with mechanical secondaries, and try a few more pulls.

Dyno's blocks are in the batter's box (assembly room) and all his short block parts i.e., cranks, pistons, rods, pins, bolts, cams, etc, are all laid out on the counter in order ready for assembly. Nice, new stuff for 330's on steroids!!!

Quiet Storm 05-31-2005 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the delay. My home computer had a problem.

Yea Doug, all smiles so far. :D

dyno 06-12-2005 10:41 AM

spoke with him Saturday not wet yet!!

dykstra 06-12-2005 11:49 AM

Congrats