Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Two killed in Jet Ski accident in Pinellas County FL. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103779-two-killed-jet-ski-accident-pinellas-county-fl.html)

Tonto 05-24-2005 11:13 PM

Re: Two killed in Jet Ski accident in Pinellas County FL.

I'm not going to start bashing on "jet" skiers here because I think this is a tragic accident. What I will state is what I have see while operating my boats on Lake Lanier here in Ga. While on the Apache they seem to cut in front of me to the point that I lose vision of them under the bow. I'm sure they don't realize that my boat cruises as fast as it does, but they are supposed to pay attention. On the SeaRay, they want to come up behind me and jump the wake. That's all fine and good 'till the spray starts coming in the boat, then I want to throw out a couple of hundred foot lines with fenders attached so they might suck up the line in the impeller. Sort of like fishing for "jet" skis. Then once hooked, I could turn around and give them a lesson, around here, you're not supposed to be "on plane" within 100' of another boat/dock/shore.

Robert

Formula Outlaw 05-25-2005 06:46 AM

I see jet skiers do just stupid idiot acts every time I've gone out. Sometimes it's as though they seem to be having a contest of playing "chicken" with the power boats. One cut in front of me so close I had to chop the sticks to actually avoid running him over, which I exploded. I circled back and screamed at him for five minutes. He got pissed off and told me to **** myself and I just said next time azzhole I'll peg the ******** sticks and run your sorry azz over. When I left I casually pivioted around, raised the drives considerably, hit the sticks, and hosed the living chit outta him for about 3 seconds, tucked the drives and took off. I did notice the PC had Michigan stickers on it.

Guess they drive their PWC's badly so they are training for when they get older and drive their cars just as bad. :rolleyes:

gsmith9898 05-25-2005 03:32 PM

I Do Want Tosay, It Is Very Sad To See Any Body That Young Die For Any Reason. I Own A Eliminator Daytona And Have Cussed My Share Of Seadoos. I Bought Two A Couple Of Years Ago And They Are Very Dangerous. You Just Get To Having Fun And Not Paying Attention. It Is Not Like Driving A Car With One Car Coming At You And You Going The Other Way. All The Boats Are At Different Speeds And Different Angles And It Is Very Dangerous. I Sold Mine And Now I Watch Out For All Of Them, Not Just The Ones That I Think Are Bad Drivers.

kitten 05-26-2005 11:22 AM

r i p :(

happy hours 05-26-2005 11:52 PM

Sad, true you do see a lot of stupid people on jet skis, in rental boats, in cars...basic facts are there or poor drivers everywhere....still a tragic thing and as Kitten said..RIP. Lets all try to be careful on and off he water.

boomer 05-27-2005 06:48 AM

I know jet skiers are a pain in the ass but lets not forget one point in the story.

Newpaper quote

"The operator of the 29-foot power catamaran, Miguel A. Alvarado, 38, refused to submit to a Breathalyzer exam or a field sobriety test after the collision, according to Gary Morse, a spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which is investigating."

AIR TIME 05-27-2005 07:38 AM

thats what I'm thinking if you are not drinking take the test, :( rip :( be safe everyone this weekend art

Maximus 05-27-2005 08:11 AM

some of you guys are so full of s$#t. When people give us powerboaters a hard time about noise and speed...it's "they" who are the problem or the inexperienced brand new "cigarette boat" owner who give us a bad name (80-20 rule ). then WE complain.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the same goes for ski's. I jet ski almost every night. no problems.

inexperience and alchohol wheather it's boats, cars, skis or snowmobiles is a recipe for problem.

Give me a break I've towed more offshore boats went to my house to get tools for broken boats and guided lost boaters than I can count.

The guys that are mad are the ones that get smoked racing a ski. Yes "THEY" do keep making them faster ....JUST LIKE FOUNTAIN AND OL.

This holy' r than thou talk is so weak.

kitten and cuda see me on the ski. always friendly

Look some parents just lost a daughter and son to a drunk boater .....weve all seen them ...If it was your friend or family member youd be singin a different tune

try me

Maximus

Wardey 05-27-2005 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Marc, I agree with you 100%. I don't care if it's a skateboard to rollerblades to canoes to offshore boats.....their will always be some bad apples in the barrel. And those bad apples make bad names for those who are responsible. I've had my share of ass*hole jet skies and have had my share of ass*hole boaters, drivers and pedestrians !!! I have a fast ski but try and stay away from boats. I do not try and jump boat wakes and always look around to make me aware of the surrounding area. To blame jet ski's is just wrong....blame the driver. I am for the boating license as I see it will help get the inexperianced boater (jet ski) off the water. This was a terrible accident and my heart and prayers go out to the families involved. Dave

AIR TIME 05-27-2005 12:19 PM

marc I just bought a 79 wet bike always wanted one, I feel bad for those skiers, I now anytime I rent a ski I check my surroundings to make sure its clear to goof off,even in my boat I look around us for a couple of minutes make sure no kayaks or small boats around if we run close to shore a life is a life :(