Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
3 drunks in a dead boat in the middle of the lake at night... (rant) >

3 drunks in a dead boat in the middle of the lake at night... (rant)

Notices

3 drunks in a dead boat in the middle of the lake at night... (rant)

Old 05-23-2005, 07:29 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: 3 drunks in a dead boat in the middle of the lake at night... (rant)

Believe me, I went back and forth on this several times. They just told us to go, and that they had another buddy on the way. I was a volunteer FF for 10 years, so I always stop and offer assistance.

I thought of the same thing too, that if the CG/WP showed up, they could have started drinking after they broke down. However, if they did not have a bunch of empties on the boat, they would be busted.

We did call those on land and let them know we would be late. (However, it was 7 women we were meeting back at the condo.) The folks in the boat just started screaming as soon as I turned on the radio.

I have zero tolerance for drunk boating and drunk driving. I have seen too many people including friends killed and hurt (being a FF in a very small town, you know everyone at an accident) over the years, and I can't comprehend putting oneself in that situation. I am not trying to proclaim myself all high and mighty. I am not better than those folks we ran across on the water, but I do know I would never have put myself in that particular situation. I didn't not help them because of their situation. I offered help and I was not about to leave several women in the middle of no where with no place to go and lock the door. I left because they told us too and that they were fine.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-23-2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Default Re: 3 drunks in a dead boat in the middle of the lake at night... (rant)

ABA, I am not sure. The rubber to make that trip is getting expensive. I think I will probably stay closer to home Memorial Day weekend, but SML is never out of the question.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Think maybe I would have tried to locate a cell phone and maybe called the people who were expecting me to explain the issue. A 45 minute delay to tow someone in is worth it, it can happen to any of us. Just my two cents.
The offer of a tow was put out there, but they would have had to wait until the key was delivered. They chose not to exercise that option. So he did the right thing and even went a step beyond that to call for additional assistance. They also said they had already called a friend to help. The delay would have been much longer than 45 minutes for the friends stranded at the condo than for the delay for the illegals on the water. Perhaps time to sober up would have taught them a lesson.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Sydwayz did his part.

He offered help and they declined. End of story. You can't force your help on someone who doesnt want it.

You did your part.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me? I would have called for assistance anyway. They could be a sitting duck out there for another boat.

I always tow someone in if they need. You never know how long one might be waiting out there for assistance after dark. There could be someone on there who for instance might be a diabetic that could need to get to medication. Also the fact that they might not have any food or water on board. I believe that most any boater would do this. Now you don't necessarily need to tow them several miles to the marina they came from like if it is several hours away but in that case i will tow them to the nearest marina where they can get food, water if need be and call for a ride.

I remember once I was an idiot when I kept my stereo on too long running my batteries down. I was stuck and I was only about 1/4 mile away from a marina. I paid a guy $20 (he didn't accept so I had to force it on him) for the short tow and I called a cab. I went to the other marina got the truck/trailer and drove back. Guess what? the boat started right up. Oh well life is still good.

Roby
Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 29scarab
Sydwayz did his part.

He offered help and they declined. End of story. You can't force your help on someone who doesnt want it.

You did your part.
Brian did he's part and if anyone knows him they would know that about him.End of story.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Its not my job to keep people out of trouble. It is everyone's job to keep people out of danger. I am upset that these folks put themselves into a position of potential danger and chose keeping out of trouble as a priority over keeping out of danger. I am not looking for any justification. Irresponsibility really pisses me off, and I will be the first one to admit my own.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I knew that last reply was going to be interesting. I did offer to tow them, we were even getting lines ready, and I would have towed them to where we were going. As soon as I said "Monsoon to CG" on the radio, they screamed at us to leave them alone. Had I tied up to them after that, I would think that would be kidnapping.

Good reading for a Monday.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

So will this be the end of the public service announcements?

Old 05-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

LOL, yeah, I guess so Craig. I love a good controversy.

I am not a liar. I gave them several options. They chose their choice.

You can call me a liar when you do something positive to contribute to OSO.

Quick Reply: 3 drunks in a dead boat in the middle of the lake at night... (rant)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.