Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Summer homes near Chicago? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103927-summer-homes-near-chicago.html)

MILD THUNDER 05-23-2005 06:27 PM

Summer homes near Chicago?

My buddy is looking for a summer home on a lake within 3 hours of Chicago. Chain of lakes area is out the question. He doesnt like it. He has small kids and enjoyys boating/fishing. Any nice lakes to look at? thanks

RJ1340 05-23-2005 06:40 PM

Re: Summer homes near Chicago?

Twin Lakes

FOUNTAINATLAST 05-23-2005 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
My buddy is looking for a summer home on a lake within 3 hours of Chicago. Chain of lakes area is out the question. He doesnt like it. He has small kids and enjoyys boating/fishing. Any nice lakes to look at? thanks

Thers a small lake just south of the chain called Bangs lake or his best bet would be to cross the border into Chezland and go to Lake Geniva or Twin Lakes. Both of those lakes are still within the 3 hour window. You would probable have a better chance finding a summer home to rent at the lakes in Wis.

Payton 05-23-2005 08:08 PM

there are a bunch of lakes in Michigan with a 3 hour drive. Gull Lake, Gun Lake Some nice ones near Paw Paw or South haven also. I'm not sure of the names. Then there are always one of the ports on Lake Michigan.

MILD THUNDER 05-23-2005 08:48 PM

Where is a good port on Lake Michigan in those areas?

Quiet Storm 05-23-2005 11:42 PM

South Haven is one I like but most of the Michigan ports are nice.

boatme 05-24-2005 05:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a house for sale on the water in Spring Lake Michigan

3600 Square Feet 4bedroom 4 bath Deck Dock In a great neighborhood

I have a neighbor that splits his time here and in Chicago

you can get to Lake Michigan by water from the house

a couple of pics are included along with a satellite shot

MILD THUNDER 05-24-2005 11:35 AM

Sweet Home boat me. Looks like a little more than he probably wants to spend. How far of a ride is spring lake from chicago?

Waterfoul 05-24-2005 12:21 PM

Spring Lake to Chicago.... 135 miles. As for time on the road, it's really traffic dependent. 2 hours one day, 3 hours another day. I've been to Marks house... it's sweet... and his bayou is nice... you can fish in it, swim in it off the end of the dock, etc...

Stay away from Gun Lake. It's really busy, kinda murky, and really shallow in many spots. It's a prop shops best friend! Gull Lake is much cleaner, deeper, and in my little ole opinion, a nicer all around lake. But there are tons of small lakes between say, Grand Haven and Chicago. I'd say 100 possible lakes to choose from is not a high guess. Tell him to call a realator in south west Michigan. I'm sure they'd love to sell a piece of lake front property!!! Or just buy Mark's place... it needs nothing!

boatme 05-24-2005 12:26 PM

thanks Mike (waterfoul)

It is a great Home it is about 2 1/2 hours from Chicago on a fair day

it is a 40 minute idle by boat to Lake michigan from my dock