How to afford the boat you want.... >

How to afford the boat you want....

Notices

How to afford the boat you want....

Old 05-23-2005, 10:42 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to afford the boat you want....

Originally Posted by OkieTunnel
but Spectre may be faster with same power.

maybe??? spectre isn't world champions for nothing....
Old 05-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Hey my first trip out with my new Cigarette i meet a guy with a 38' top gun that has 750 Zulu motors and during lunch i am talking to people that have a 42' cig, so on my first trip i have the little boat it's only a 35 and can ONLY do 85 Oh well !!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
maybe??? spectre isn't world champions for nothing....
Give'em an inch they want to take a mile...
Old 05-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Just an idea here but I see a lot of it on this site. Why don't you sell the Nordic and buy something a little older and a little bigger. Perhaps a 38 Gun? I see a bunch in the mid 90's for 100K-150K. Most of these boats just need a little TLC and they look great.
If you want speed, your going to have to pay to play. Theres just no other way. Buy a cat and you'll get soaked with ins. every year.
I'm currently in the exact same situation you are. I look around and ask my self why I didn't chose the above option over my 29 Outlaw (no smart remarks please ) One thing that slaps me in the face every time I get a "big idea" is the fact that with a bigger boat comes the necessity for a bigger truck, a bigger storage facility, a bigger gas budget, etc. etc. After I factor in those variables to the equation I sit back and enjoy my Baja (no smart remarks please ) just my .02
Old 05-24-2005, 05:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Ok, I'll try to make this my first ever sensible post... What you need to have is the ability to know when to draw the line, big power and big speed means big money, not just to purchase it but to maintain it as well. I have a 42 Cig Tiger, does just over 72, but has a great ride in rough and is a dream to drive. I also have a Formula 311, does just over 70, and also a dream to drive. When buying the tiger I overlooked many boats with big power, as I have had that in the past and I have reached a time in my life that I want turn key reliability. Penis/boat envy will always leave you looking and wishing and not really enjoying your time on the water, if you really want to move up, set up a financial plan to work towards it, figure out exactly what you want/need in a boat and start looking. prices right now will be at a premium, so ride what you have this summer and just keep your eyes open, debt sucks, been there many years ago...hillbilly is right, if you over extend yourself, and something does break, how can you afford to fix it? ...Rob
Old 05-24-2005, 05:34 AM
Registered

it's not how big or how fast,but how much fun you have while doing it.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mwdill
That's a great point. Do you think someone else is having more fun than you because they have a bigger boat?

On the waters I usually boat on, I bet my boat is a lot more fun to drive than a '40 in the same speed range.

You must of bought the boat you have because you liked it, not because it was the only thing you could afford. ENJOT IT!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:17 AM
Registered

I have an older 311 Formula which I enjoy immensly. I've done a lot of work to it to "personalize" it including yanking the silent thunder box off and going with new EMI Thunder exhuast and Stainless Marine thru hulls.

It's good in the rough stuff for it's size and not particularly fast, low 70's. While I lust over the bigger faster boats, I can afford to run this boat. At somepoint I might go larger but when it happens it happens.

Besides, whenever I think I want a larger boat, I go out and wax mine. Tht cures the "wantbiggeritis" for about two months. Then I go out and wax it again.

The idea is to enjoy what you have and not worry about what someone else has. You never know, the guy next to you with the "whatever" might be six days away from a repo.

Enjoy what you have, at least it's not a blowbote.....
Old 05-24-2005, 06:24 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mwdill
Will is right.I have a 37' and he has a 27' and i think he has more fun than i do well he's wife has more fun but no we all have a good time no matter what we drive,just ask Randy/dsandman he bought a 25 outlaw this year and he says its slow but he has alot of fun in it when he's not showing he's azz to fisherman.I had a guy tell me when he bought he's boat a few years back that he didn't think he could afford it but what he said was BUY THE BOAT YOU THINK YOU CAN'T AFFORD AND YOU'LL BE HAPPY.That might be wrong but thats what i did and i'm happy for now.Just my .02
Old 05-24-2005, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

there will always be someone with a bigger , faster , sexier boat. your jocky will never win in that race. i looked at a 165k tg a little over 3 years ago , big power etc. glad i did not purchase.

i wound up buying a 15k 28 cigarette , why , cause i paid cash and own it. granted now it's become a resto project , i have some of the best parts , lottsa bling for the bilge ,etc. yeah would it be nice to sport that 38 , sure , do i want to pay that nut every month & insurance for 15+ years ,f no! do i want to have to pay to keep it maintained , someting always breaking , the bigger power you go , potential is there for big $$$ repair.

i don't try to keep up with the jones. little fyi , my home is 1300 a month ,car note 450 ,general fund bills (power , food etc) another couple hundred , life ,health insurance and play $$ in my pocket , . i don't live on revolving credit ,i have a score of 780+ so i 'm sure i can get any amount i want . but i wouldn't pull the trigger on something that would ad another 1500+ a month to my outgoing bills. i earn 50-60k a years which isn't a whole lot compared to other oso brothas but your going to need to make a fair amount of $$$ to crack a nut like that. it's the human food chain ,were all a part of it just each in a different part. there will always be bigger fish ,there will always be minnows , and us guppies in between , i would venture to say that a large percent of boats are financed ,i chose the buy outright way. funny thing is , i have probably 65k in it . but that's about 90% new parts and a few solid used parts.
i have a close freind and he has a great 27 ft boat , 500hp on the dyno ,and he is paid for. i can see in his eyes when were around the ballers and he wants a bigger boat , faster boat , i preach to him , man , keep what ya got , it works , no problems and paid for. why put yourself in a financial commitment for something you may get to use twice a week. then we go over on how much this is , how much that cost ,and after these talks he like yeah ya right , i got it good.

enjoy what ya have ,feel fortunate and greatfull enough to own a powerboat period. ya know ,i was at a red light yesterday , a brand new amg benz pulled up on side of me ,i was like ,dam ,wish i was driving that , but then i looked to my right and saw a person waiting to catch the public transportation bus. i'm in the a/c and he's hot as hell waiting for a bus. be greatfull to have what you have , take a good look around you, i am......

Quick Reply: How to afford the boat you want....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.