Notices

Sad story in Tennessee

Old 05-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sad story in Tennessee

Thursday afternoon a girl drowned in our local lake. She had graduated from high school the week before. Apparently three kids were sitting with their legs below the front grab rail when the rail broke off and they all fell in water as the boat was moving. Two were OK, but the third never surfaced.

I was on the lake yesterday and spoke with some of the officers that were policing the search area and they said a "piece of scalp" had been found after the accident indicating a prop strike. What a terrible thing for the family!!!

I had never seen a full-fledged "water recovery" operation in person before, but seeing 15 - 20 boats dragging the bottom is a very sobering sight.

Anyway let's all pray that the rest of the weekend is safe and enjoyable where ever you boat!!

Here's to having a great time on the water, but always while being safe and remaining in control!

From the news...

Rescuers returned to Old Hickory Lake Friday morning to continue searching for a missing woman. The young woman fell from a boat near Drake's Creek Marina in Hendersonville Thursday night.

The Sumner County Emergency Management Agency put their boats in the water Thursday night, searching for a 19-year-old woman who fell into the water and is now feared drowned. Authorities told News 2 that she and two other friends fell from their boat just before 6 pm. The other two people were able to get out of the water on their own, but the third woman hasn't been seen since the accident.

"It's my understanding they were moving and hit a wake from their own boat and it had thrown the three that were on the front of the boat into the water, breaking the railing off," said Hendersonville Fire Department spokesperson Joe Bowman.

Emergency crews planned to go back to the Drake's Creek Marina in Hendersonville on Friday to drag the lake again. Divers will also return the water in hopes of finding the 19-year-old.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sad story in Tennessee

I know what you mean! A couple of years ago I saw a guy on the back of a Sea Doo with no life jacket and then saw them have a bad crash. I saw the driver surface immediately and the passenger never came up. Just like that a life was lost, and a $20 life vest would have saved him. He was knocked out and drowned in 10 feet of water. I was the lucky guy that finally spotted him after about a 1 hour search with the rescue teams. Pretty sobering!! Be careful out there and wear your jackets please!

Craig
Old 05-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Registered

Why do people do stuff like that ..
In my boat its get in and sit down in the seat or the boat doesnt move!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbrauer
Thursday afternoon a girl drowned in our local lake. She had graduated from high school the week before. Apparently three kids were sitting with their legs below the front grab rail when the rail broke off and they all fell in water as the boat was moving. Two were OK, but the third never surfaced.

I was on the lake yesterday and spoke with some of the officers that were policing the search area and they said a "piece of scalp" had been found after the accident indicating a prop strike. What a terrible thing for the family!!!

I had never seen a full-fledged "water recovery" operation in person before, but seeing 15 - 20 boats dragging the bottom is a very sobering sight.

Anyway let's all pray that the rest of the weekend is safe and enjoyable where ever you boat!!

Here's to having a great time on the water, but always while being safe and remaining in control!

From the news...

Rescuers returned to Old Hickory Lake Friday morning to continue searching for a missing woman. The young woman fell from a boat near Drake's Creek Marina in Hendersonville Thursday night.

The Sumner County Emergency Management Agency put their boats in the water Thursday night, searching for a 19-year-old woman who fell into the water and is now feared drowned. Authorities told News 2 that she and two other friends fell from their boat just before 6 pm. The other two people were able to get out of the water on their own, but the third woman hasn't been seen since the accident.

"It's my understanding they were moving and hit a wake from their own boat and it had thrown the three that were on the front of the boat into the water, breaking the railing off," said Hendersonville Fire Department spokesperson Joe Bowman.

Emergency crews planned to go back to the Drake's Creek Marina in Hendersonville on Friday to drag the lake again. Divers will also return the water in hopes of finding the 19-year-old.
I was on the lake the lake (Old Hickory) late this afternoon (Monday 5-30), and they were still dragging in Drake's creek for the missing girl ..........
Steve
Old 05-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Registered

As fast as the current is in the lake, she could be miles away at this point, I really hate to hear things like that.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Registered

a guy drowned in about 10 feet of water on candlewood lake in CT. we were at a local rope swing and he thought the water wasn't over his head, slipped in off the swim platform and never came up,, when we got there there were several divers and police boats looking for his body,, they pulled him out of the water about an hour later,,,