Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How Many Watts For Cockpit Stereo? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/104466-how-many-watts-cockpit-stereo.html)

FASTERDAMITT 05-31-2005 11:45 PM

Re: How Many Watts For Cockpit Stereo?

Let me clarify a little bit. I don't have anything as of yet. I do know I want two subs hidden and four speakers in the cockpit. I was wondering how much power most people run on thier speakers in the cockpit to have a kickin system. I was thinking a four channel amp with 50w per channel would sound good. Do I need more watt's?
For the subs maybe 150-200 per sub.

MarkSmith 06-01-2005 12:02 AM

DO NOT BUY 6X9 SPEAKERS. Those speakers were designed because of space not sound refection. Go component round. My pick would be MB Quarts and sealed subs.

FASTERDAMITT 06-01-2005 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by MarkSmith
DO NOT BUY 6X9 SPEAKERS. Those speakers were designed because of space not sound refection. Go component round. My pick would be MB Quarts and sealed subs.

I always wondered about that. What about the Sony Xploid speakers?

mwdill 06-01-2005 05:30 AM

buddy of mine has a set in his baja, with a mtx 50 x 4 amp sounds good but he has the innerliner on that baja that really helps with the sound.

Audiofn 06-01-2005 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Troutly
Why would you want to buy a 5 channel amp for two 6 x 9's and two subs??

Troutly the sub channel on a 5 channel amp is capable of running more then one speaker. So in this case you run the 4 6X9's off the 4 smaller power channels (probably 50 watts or so), and then the two subs off the larger sub channel (probably 100 watts, but with two subs it will give you more power say 200 watts.....)

I also would look at component speakers over 6X9's

Jon

JPD Motorsports 06-01-2005 10:12 AM

Audio got to answer before me on that one, and if he is only putting in 2 6x9s he could always use it to add more speakers and not have to redo the amp or bridge it out so that he will still ahve fade front rear left right and a dedicated to the subs is all and esier to hid one amp than 2 or more along with rather be prept to expand than not be ready as for we all know its only time before we need more poewr or sound :D :D

pullmytrigger 06-02-2005 09:18 PM

forgive me but what is a component speaker????

Andy Buzz 06-02-2005 09:27 PM

I always have MBQuart speakers, Clarion head units (the new model is the most water resistant you will find) satelite receievers, Orion, Rockford Fosgate, Bazooka, Diamond Audio, and many other quality brands in stock and ready to ship.

Feel free to call for system design and great prices.

Andy Buzz
Maximum Audio
Tampa FL
813-882-8477

Sydwayz 06-02-2005 09:32 PM

Andy, thanks for your guidance as well.

I ended up buying all my stuff locally, and got extended warranty on most all of it. The system totally rocks.

NJgr8ful 06-03-2005 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by pull my trigger
forgive me but what is a component speaker????

Component speakers break up the lows, mids, highs into seperate speakers IE Tweeters, Mids, & Subs. Instead of a 3-way speaker you have 3 seperate speakers ;) Quality vs. space/cost considerations.

Nice set-up Brian! :cool: