Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect >

Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

Notices

Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

Old 06-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

PE-
Life wil be simpler with a Y2K....

Yes they are a narrow beam, but try to measure the inside of the cockpit on both boats... Sonic wastes sooo much cockpit space with that walk around....
Y2K is a sit down boat...This is personal preference...so you decide.

The Y2k is one bad unit.... Just get an XR-ITS and more than 500hp and you'll be smilin' ear to ear... The boats are fast and handle great.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 06-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

Wes

I plan on going out to Shelter Island on Sat. morning. If you are going to be out in that direction let me know. Would love to see the new Apache in your family. Mine is almost complete. Just waiting on CMI to finish the headers and tails.

Don
Old 06-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Registered

What speed do they get out of the Y2K with lets say around 750-850 hp. I believe at least one was built waith a 750 or so?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Titan, thanks for the opinion. I don't think that is bashing, but is exactly the 1st hand experience I am looking for.

Wes, Will told me Steve's boat is for sale so it is something to consider.

I know the Superboat is "bare bones". When I think about my boating habits, all we do is go from place to place. Not much hanging out on the boat anchored. If we do my wife heads straight for the sunpad to catch some rays, or to the cabin for the potti!

As far as other manufacturers, my budget is very tight!! I have done a tramendous amount of work to the Sonic and should be trouble free from now on. Fuel, maintenance, and the "double trouble" of twin supercharged big blocks has proven to be a strain on me.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:46 AM
Registered

Pure Energy

When are you coming out to the Island? Was out there last weekend and it was pretty quiet at Claudio's. Not many performance boats out there yet?

Hope you will be out there during the LIOPA Shelter Island weekend. The dates are July 15 to July 17. We are planning a whole weekend around this years run.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:52 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

PE, if you are thinking of a 30ft single w/ 7ft beam, I would not hesitate to contact Dave Warden from Extreme Marine of Tampa. He is getting 80+ from a 496HO. And his pricing should be competitive.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
PE, if you are thinking of a 30ft single w/ 7ft beam, I would not hesitate to contact Dave Warden from Extreme Marine of Tampa. He is getting 80+ from a 496HO. And his pricing should be competitive.

Storm

I agree the Extreme is a nice looking low deck sit down boat. And the speed for a 496 is incredible..
Old 06-02-2005, 07:55 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Dave M
Titan,

My cabin doors are made of starboard.

Dave
DaveM, I like the superboats in general, and I think the Older ones are hardcore and cool as hell. But the fact that the door hatch is a known problem, does not fit well, and is not really strong enough to stand on, and many SB'ers are looking for an aftermarket fix, shows that SB is lacking somewhere.
This should be an easy fix for the factory. Just my $0.02.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:57 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Titan
Storm

I agree the Extreme is a nice looking low deck sit down boat. And the speed for a 496 is incredible..
I work less than 30 minutes from Superboat, so checking in on a order in production would be easy as can be. But if I were looking for a larger single hot rod... Extreme(dave) would get my $$$.

Last edited by Stormrider; 06-02-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having spent considerable time in both Krakmeup's 2005 Y2K and in MadMax911's 30ss Sonic, I can tell you this: They are COMPLETELY different animals! Neither is better than the other, they are just different.

The SB handles like a sports car, and the sitdown seating make it even more so. It feel LIGHT and nimble. It's very simple, too. Engine access ROCKS! It's pretty spartan, though.

The Sonic feels much bigger than it is, it's a rock-solid wave-crusher. Very plush, too.

Jim

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.