Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do I have a problem? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/104656-do-i-have-problem.html)

n2boatn2 06-02-2005 09:31 PM

Do I have a problem?

With non hydraloic steering how muc play should I have in the steering wheel? Presently I can move the drives by hand about on inch ,side to side.

Ted G 06-02-2005 09:44 PM

Re: Do I have a problem?

You might. What you need to look at is how much movement is ocurring inside the boat when the drives are moving and which part is moving. If the drives move and the steering arm doesnt you have an issue between the gimbal and the arm. If the arm is moving and the junction between the steering cable is loose, it may just need to be tightened. All parts are visible, just find out where the movement is happening.

n2boatn2 06-02-2005 09:50 PM

Thanks Isptech, I'll check again ,but as I looked today it seemed to move in the steering unit , where the cable comes in it would move out turned one way and back in when turned the other way. What effect would that have on a SAFETY stand point could it break and if so what would the result be say traveling at 50 mph?

Ted G 06-02-2005 09:57 PM

Movement in the steering cable is usually caused by wear in the barrel. This will not cause breakage, just slop. If the cable starts to bind or jump then it may break and needs attention soon. A break at 40-50 on most boats will cause some pucker, but will not likely flip the boat except in aggravating circumstances (wake, wave, close boats or objects). If it jumps, jerks or has a very loose spot, get on it soon.

Outdrive1 06-02-2005 11:17 PM

I think if it caused you to be concerned about it I would replace whatever is worn. Nothing like worring about stuff while you and your family are trying to have a good time, at least for piece of minds sake. Do you have external steering on it?

n2boatn2 06-03-2005 07:36 PM

No it it is cable power steering ,, but after further investigation I believe it is a gimbil problem

Outdrive1 06-03-2005 07:46 PM

Gimbal bearing is not to bad to change, pull the drive off and use a slide hammer to remove it. Hillbilly can give you some good advice on changing it.

FOUNTAINATLAST 06-03-2005 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
Gimbal bearing is not to bad to change, pull the drive off and use a slide hammer to remove it. Hillbilly can give you some good advice on changing it.

I'm thinking he means Gimbal housing, were it pivots.

Outdrive1 06-03-2005 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINATLAST
I'm thinking he means Gimbal housing, were it pivots.

That could take a couple extra minutes. :(