If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Gig Harbor, WA.

One way valves in bilge outflow lines?

I have a low profile tunnel hull and the bilge outlet sits below the waterline.
    Has anyone heard of a one way valve that I can plumb inline so water doesn't seep back down into the bilges?

Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Mequon, WI

Re: One way valves in bilge outflow lines?

Oh, man that sucks. I frankly don't know of one made specifically for a marine application. What you could do is use a brass swing check valve. Your local hardware store will carry them. Be sure to get a size or two large than the hose size so the valve doesn't pose a restriction. I would also make sure your through hull fitting is brass. You do not want that fitting to break. All so, you could may braze the check valve right to the hull fitting for a cleaner installation. The check valve would work the best when it's in the vertical postion.

Is there room to put a loop in the bilge hose as well to help keep the water out?

Gold Member Gold Member
    Ft.Lauderdale, Fl.

Smile Re: One way valves in bilge outflow lines?

There are two types of valves, sold at your local marine store for this. If they don't stock them, they can certainly order them. One is called a "flapper-valve", the other is called a "Strato-Flo valve". Both are brass/bronze. Both have female pipe threads that would call for a male pipe threaded brass/bronze bilge pump discharge thru-hull to mate up. All this, you might want to know, is a very compromised system at best. Your bilge pump discharge thru-hull being located below the water line is a big "no-no". Failure of these valves will quickly sink your boat by allowing water to free-flow through the bilge pump discharge line & into the boat. I would strongly suggest you install a bilge-pump discharge thru-hull in a new location farthur forward on the boat, which is well above the water-line, & run a new hose forward to it. This is the only safe & correct way. Ed

Platinum Member Platinum Member Bill 3's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Top Gun
    Table Rock Lake, MO

One other thing to keep in mind is that most bilge pumps are rated at little or no back pressure or lift. So trying to push water out of a below water line fitting would be less effecient.