If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Registered Dregsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gig Harbor, WA.

    One way valves in bilge outflow lines?

    I have a low profile tunnel hull and the bilge outlet sits below the waterline.
    Has anyone heard of a one way valve that I can plumb inline so water doesn't seep back down into the bilges?

  2. #2
    Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Mequon, WI

    Re: One way valves in bilge outflow lines?

    Oh, man that sucks. I frankly don't know of one made specifically for a marine application. What you could do is use a brass swing check valve. Your local hardware store will carry them. Be sure to get a size or two large than the hose size so the valve doesn't pose a restriction. I would also make sure your through hull fitting is brass. You do not want that fitting to break. All so, you could may braze the check valve right to the hull fitting for a cleaner installation. The check valve would work the best when it's in the vertical postion.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002

    Re: One way valves in bilge outflow lines?

    Is there room to put a loop in the bilge hose as well to help keep the water out?

  4. #4
    Ed is offline
    Gold Member Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Ft.Lauderdale, Fl.

    Smile Re: One way valves in bilge outflow lines?

    There are two types of valves, sold at your local marine store for this. If they don't stock them, they can certainly order them. One is called a "flapper-valve", the other is called a "Strato-Flo valve". Both are brass/bronze. Both have female pipe threads that would call for a male pipe threaded brass/bronze bilge pump discharge thru-hull to mate up. All this, you might want to know, is a very compromised system at best. Your bilge pump discharge thru-hull being located below the water line is a big "no-no". Failure of these valves will quickly sink your boat by allowing water to free-flow through the bilge pump discharge line & into the boat. I would strongly suggest you install a bilge-pump discharge thru-hull in a new location farthur forward on the boat, which is well above the water-line, & run a new hose forward to it. This is the only safe & correct way. Ed

  5. #5
    Platinum Member Platinum Member Bill 3's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Top Gun
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Table Rock Lake, MO

    Re: One way valves in bilge outflow lines?

    One other thing to keep in mind is that most bilge pumps are rated at little or no back pressure or lift. So trying to push water out of a below water line fitting would be less effecient.

Similar Threads

  1. Valves: 2.25 and 1.88
    By Andy in forum Wanted
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 07:08 AM
  2. Valves
    By hpy540 in forum General Q & A
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 11:28 PM
  3. what valves are these?
    By KNOT-RIGHT in forum General Q & A
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 07:44 AM
  4. need valves
    By traviss in forum General Q & A
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 04:15 PM
  5. Manley valves
    By FloridianSon in forum General Q & A
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-15-2002, 05:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2016 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Original Poster In Postbit provided by Original Poster In Postbit v1.0.0 (Free) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.