Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who sell's Mobil 1 V-Twin or Red Cap? >

Who sell's Mobil 1 V-Twin or Red Cap?

Notices

Who sell's Mobil 1 V-Twin or Red Cap?

Old 06-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who sell's Mobil 1 V-Twin or Red Cap?

I can't find where to purchase Mobil 1 20/50 V Twin or Red Cap Oil as well as a Mobil 1 Oil Filter. (M1-302 or M1-111) Where's a good place to purchase. Does anyone on OSO sell it?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Who sell's Mobil 1 V-Twin or Red Cap?

Wal-Mart most often has the full Mobil1 line of oil. As for Oil Filters, I have never bought a M1, but save yourself the trouble, and go to NAPA, and buy a WIX Racing Filter. Its much better quality and the only thing I install on my boat(s), car, and truck. (NAPA Wix (red top box) for car and truck, NAPA Wix Racing (all black) for boat.)

1061R fits HP500s.
1060R fits 496HOs.
(Dunno what the others are off the top of my head.)
Old 06-09-2005, 06:09 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I've always been able to find the M1-302 at Auto-zone. Walmart is hit and his with the redcap ( have always used the 15/50)....I believe they took it off the market and now sell a gold cap version that is supposed to be "new and improved"
Old 06-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

They did take the red cap 15w-50 off the market. From previous threads that I've read the new Gold Cap 15w-50 doesn't have the correct ingredients to protect marine applications (red cap is fine if you can find it)!!! You can use it but have to include an additive. Were's Hydrocruiser??? He'll straighten it all out for us.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

They still make the red, here's the link to their website, gold is a new type. Maybe some of the stores are carrying the gold instead of the red now. The read says its the "clean 5000" extended use oil.
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...lean_5000.aspx
Old 06-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
They still make the red, here's the link to their website, gold is a new type. Maybe some of the stores are carrying the gold instead of the red now. The read says its the "clean 5000" extended use oil.
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...lean_5000.aspx
The Mobil one 5000 red top is 10w-30 or 40 not 15w-50. They discontinued red top 50 weight because of the chemicals that were bad to the enviroment & damaging to convertors on cars, thus is why the new Gold cap. Which doesn't stand up to marine condition with the lack of chemicals that used to be in the older red cap formula.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Registered

Regardless the V-twin oil is far superior but hard to find. They do still make it, and is recommended over most, just a matter of coming across the oil.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINATLAST
The Mobil one 5000 red top is 10w-30 or 40 not 15w-50. They discontinued red top 50 weight because of the chemicals that were bad to the enviroment & damaging to convertors on cars, thus is why the new Gold cap. Which doesn't stand up to marine condition with the lack of chemicals that used to be in the older red cap formula.

What is it thats different in the Gold top that wouldn't let it "stand up" to the marine enviroment? Is their something in the marine enviroment that breaks down this oil? I would still think that this oil is better than lets say any conventional 40 weight. I thought Hydrocruiser was saying that the gold cap oil is lacking an anti wear ingredient that the red cap contained but that is still better than any conventional motor oil, and by adding some additive you could increase your anti wear agents in the oil. Maybe you can explain........V-twin is still the sh!t, I wouldn't buy anything but unless I couldn't find it.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Registered

Check out the technical forum, Hydro posted a lot of good stuff about oils and additives.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Registered

I'd have to go back and look, but all that I haved learned was through Hydrocruisers posts, You're right Gold cap is better then most but I think he recommended one quart of Redline to cover for the missing anti-wear chemicals that the gold cap is lacking and over time could be detrimental to a marine application!!

Quick Reply: Who sell's Mobil 1 V-Twin or Red Cap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.