Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sarasota Races Wtf (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105089-sarasota-races-wtf.html)

CigDaze 06-09-2005 09:29 AM

Re: Sarasota Races Wtf

Originally Posted by CROWN MAN
What The F**k Are They Thinking, The Race Can Only Be Seen From Lido Beach.theres No Parking On A Regular Week End There. How The Fu*k Are We Going To See This Race.
Last Year I Got To Siesta At 5am And It Was Packed..

It's a tough to place to get around as it is, traffic and parking suck -- packing all those people in less than 1/2 the space is going to be ugly.

Formula Outlaw 06-09-2005 10:39 AM

I agree, moving the dry pits to the fairgrounds was stupid, but I'll bet it was for cost reasons. The Van Wezel has been charging more and more for the last few years now. And if it rains hard, the fairgrounds turns into a quagmire.

The race is in transition this year because of a new group taking over from the old group that ran it for 20 years although part of the old group is helping with the transition.

If they were going to run a "short" course, they should have run it the same way the Sarasota Offshore Showdown did in Aug. 03'. Run it front of Siesta. At least you have two ways on/off the island plus Siesta is MUCH larger.

Once referred to as the "Indy 500" of offshore racing, this race has been going downhill since the APBA left five years or so ago although last year was the best it had been although VERY confusing as to who was racing who.

After helping out for six years, I got so disgusted with the backdoor politics of the Suncoast Offshore Grand Prix "group" trying to cancel the Sarasota Offshore Showdown race in 03: I just withdrew. The steadfast refusal of "the old guard" of the Sarasota Offshore Racing Association (SORA) to even offer to help the SOS (which would have given them access to a whole new group of people to draw on for membership) ultimately led to the demise of SORA which is no longer. It was the oldest sanctioned race club in the country. The membership of SORA had become so apathetic, that at the last SORA poker run, not one single boat showed up. Sad.....
The club desperatelly needed a "blood transfusion" and they had the chance, but the "old blood" blew it. Plain and simple. And the mistake was fatal.

addiction 06-09-2005 10:59 AM

DIRECT TOWING (941)365-6823 will be there to pull everyone out of the mud! We are right down the street and the Fairgrounds are our account. CALL US IF YOU NEED US.

ALSO, SECURITY MAX IS CLOSER TO THE RAMP AND HAS PLENTY OF ROOM AND A HARD SURFACE TO STORE BOATS. :D

(941)954-0600

Formula Outlaw 06-09-2005 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by addiction
DIRECT TOWING (941)365-6823 will be there to pull everyone out of the mud! We are right down the street and the Fairgrounds are our account. CALL US IF YOU NEED US.

ALSO, SECURITY MAX IS CLOSER TO THE RAMP AND HAS PLENTY OF ROOM AND A HARD SURFACE TO STORE BOATS. :D

(941)954-0600

And now back to our program......:D :D

CROWN MAN 06-09-2005 02:42 PM

Well their is one good thing to come out of this,,
The course is so small this year Im thinking 1/2 tank of fuel = faster boats..
Are they measuring this course by miles or yards??

CigBoat 06-09-2005 02:58 PM

I agree with Crown and Formula having the pits at the fair grounds is stupid and racing in front of Lido in even worse. I hope that for the sake of the race it turns out better than I suspect!

Addiction I heard one of your old drivers might be back for that weekend and maybe able to help out!!

CROWN MAN 06-09-2005 03:27 PM

Hey B,B I want to be out at the start /finish line, I have a buddy with a sea ray 32' I'm thinking about just rafting up to each other instead of putting up with the traffic coming of the island.

It should take about 2 or 3 hours to get from Lido to 301.

CigBoat 06-09-2005 03:37 PM

Crown
We will probably be out on a boat also. I might take the cig but I dont know if I feel like dealing with it that weekend. If not we will take out one of my uncles boats. Unfortunalty the Hatteras is going to be in the Bahamas then. So it will be the deck boat most likley (eaiser to party on) I will keep in touch and we can meet up. Allan is going to be down that week too.

CROWN MAN 06-09-2005 03:57 PM

OK cool, My buddy has a house on the water near the north bridge of Siesta so I will probably put my boat there for the hole week..??.

Formula Outlaw 06-09-2005 05:02 PM

I'll be out in my boat as well....bunch of people from OPBA will be anchored out. The OPBA is having it's July 4th Poker Run on Saturday then all heading out to watch the races on Sunday.