Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   crossing wakes?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105134-crossing-wakes.html)

R Addiction 06-08-2005 10:32 PM

Re: crossing wakes??

3 Attachment(s)
Russ, Hang back and like they said..."let the big dogs eat"!! Then get outside and run your run. We were the smallest boat in the Thunder On The Bay poker run a few years ago and we attempted to run up front for a bit.......Bad Move!! After this little bobble we went to the outside, and with alot of experience on the Chesapeake Bay cut some corners and came to the first stop in the midst of the pack!!! Then off to the next stop picked off a few more bigger names. Got to the lunch stop and was surprised how well we did!!! Here are a few pics.....we are the 25 AT you can't miss us....we're the small boat. :D

R Addiction 06-08-2005 10:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
See us in the 2nd photo tied up with the Hustler!! Just don't let adreneline get the best of you at the beginning. My 1st Poker Run was NYC Poker Run 1999....I was thrown from the boat at 80+ MPH......4 days after I bought the AT!! So keep a level head you'll thank your self at the end of the day. :D

The last picture here is us getting passed on the way back by Insptech in a 40 ft Fountain!! :eek:

articfriends 06-08-2005 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=R Addiction]See us in the 2nd photo tied up with the Hustler!! Just don't let adreneline get the best of you at the beginning. My 1st Poker Run was NYC Poker Run 1999....I was thrown from the boat at 80+ MPH......4 days after I bought the AT!!
:eek: Give us a quick story if you got time about getting thrown from your boat,Smitty

PhantomChaos 06-08-2005 10:57 PM

What do you think!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D This is in a 312 Formula........!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.vxi.cc/phantomchaos/images/P0001714.jpg

R Addiction 06-08-2005 10:58 PM

Smitty, It wasn't my boat. It was my brothers Apache. We got caught up in all the ferry wakes and dropped into a huge hole...shot out the other side straight up and landed on the starboard side. Threw 4 people out, broken leg and jaw on one guy and a couple of knee injuries on the other 2 , I was knocked out and was on my way to the bottom, no PFD!! When one of the other guys leg ran across my t-shirt. He swam down and pulled me up not breathing. Spent 4 days in a medically induced coma and 6 1/2 months of therapy. Now it's just head aches and other small stuff. Just keep it safe and wear your PFD when your running hard. I got into Powerboat mag with this story. Got me a free t-shirt for it!! :rolleyes: :D

PhantomChaos 06-08-2005 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
Although I personally have never experienced the "middle of the pack" in a Poker Run, in my 32 Fountain, ( you might be better off directing this question to the Skaters that run behind me ), logic would indicate that the slop is running almost directionally with your intended card-stop. Get ready for some side-to-side pitching, but it's mostly insignificant. Your boat will not capsize, nor toss any passengers, as long as you are staying within the constraints / limits of your hull, speed, and seat-time.

Of course, I would not know any of this from personal experience, because I am leading the way. When I get to the first card-stop, they are still peeling the cellophane off the deck. . . .

Yeah baby!!!!!!! :D :D :drink: :drink: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

PhantomChaos 06-08-2005 11:02 PM

Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......Apache. No wonder. I heard they really do suck on the BIG water. :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :D :D

CBR 06-08-2005 11:05 PM

Hey Russ G. check the video on my website. Nothing like getting passed by a 170 MPH 36 Nortech on the right, then a 140 MPH 50 Nortech on the left, while the wife was driving.

Wife was going to turn away from Cyclone and I had to yell at her to stay straight, else the 50 Nortech would have driven right over us and made some bad hamburger.

Very cool to watch but I now shudder to think at what nearly happened. Unless you are running 95 MPH in a 42 Outerlimits (been there done that), stay the hell back!!! The Nortechs surprised us as we were headed back to Miami early and did not expect this.

Otherwise, have fun and stay safe.

BigDaddy96 06-08-2005 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
What do you think!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D This is in a 312 Formula........!!!!!!!!!!

Nort that can't be you driving - no fivehead!!! :evilb: :D :evilb:

PhantomChaos 06-08-2005 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy96
Nort that can't be you driving - no fivehead!!! :evilb: :D :evilb:

I'll let that go, but yep! It's ME!! :D :D :D What other fearless Formula owner would do Formula's "offshore" hull testing for them?