Notices

crossing wakes??

Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crossing wakes??

I hope this question is not silly. I have a small boat to this board (25 Checkmate). I'm interested in joining a poker run this summer. Usually when I come up on a wake I try and cross it at an angel. When you guys start a poker run it looks like all the boats just go straight ahead though all the waves. How crazy does that get for smaller boats??

Thanks
Russ
Old 06-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: crossing wakes??

Frankly if you aren't one of the big dogs, just relax a little and let them eat, then follow up behind. On the bigger runs where a staggered start occurs they usually segregate the boats so the slower, smaller boats don't get run over. Running in the front of the pack can be a real blast but you have to be very aware of all the boats around you and just deal with the conditions accordingly, remember that these a usually big boats with big power and very experienced operators. On most runs there will always be a group that runs back a ways and hangs together for the company, just find your spot and enjoy.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:45 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

about that much!
Get a head start.....or a late start. Once the pack thins out you'll be fine.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

We ran a 28 checkmate last year at Smoke On The Water and it got N U T S ! ! ! ! ! We finally just hung back a little ways and had a much better ride.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Even in a larger boat it seems to get a little NUTS !

Seat time in your boat is the key----know what it's going to do before

it does it an you will be just fine----it's called reading the water.

Lucky Strike

Last edited by lucky strike; 06-08-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Registered

russ what state r u in
Old 06-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Registered

dodsonartic1- I'm in New Jersey.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Registered

Although I personally have never experienced the "middle of the pack" in a Poker Run, in my 32 Fountain, ( you might be better off directing this question to the Skaters that run behind me ), logic would indicate that the slop is running almost directionally with your intended card-stop. Get ready for some side-to-side pitching, but it's mostly insignificant. Your boat will not capsize, nor toss any passengers, as long as you are staying within the constraints / limits of your hull, speed, and seat-time.

Of course, I would not know any of this from personal experience, because I am leading the way. When I get to the first card-stop, they are still peeling the cellophane off the deck. . . .
Old 06-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Russ G.
I hope this question is not silly. I have a small boat to this board (25 Checkmate). I'm interested in joining a poker run this summer. Usually when I come up on a wake I try and cross it at an angel. When you guys start a poker run it looks like all the boats just go straight ahead though all the waves. How crazy does that get for smaller boats??

Thanks
Russ

The bigger, faster boats will be gone in no time, trim down and start plowing through the mess until it clears up. Poker runs usually do have a couple of starts. You'll know what group to be in, second or third possibly (if they have three starts). It's not a race anyways just take your time, run with some other boats that run a speed your comfortable with and you'll be just fine. You should know how your boat will run in whatever the conditions are already, what trim is good, what speed is safe, even the biggest boats out there can't run WOT full trim in any condition. Do the poker run and have a good time, that's what it's all about, BTW, 25' is not small by any means, there are alot of smaller boats out there.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:22 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
Although I personally have never experienced the "middle of the pack" in a Poker Run, in my 32 Fountain, ( you might be better off directing this question to the Skaters that run behind me ), logic would indicate that the slop is running almost directionally with your intended card-stop. Get ready for some side-to-side pitching, but it's mostly insignificant. Your boat will not capsize, nor toss any passengers, as long as you are staying within the constraints / limits of your hull, speed, and seat-time.

Of course, I would not know any of this from personal experience, because I am leading the way. When I get to the first card-stop, they are still peeling the cellophane off the deck. . . .

Quick Reply: crossing wakes??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.