Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Good place to stay in Chicago? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105178-good-place-stay-chicago.html)

dockrocker 06-09-2005 10:12 AM

Good place to stay in Chicago?

The Mrs and I are thinking about heading to Chi-town next weekend - any leads on good places to stay. Don't want to spend a mint, and would prefer to be reasonably close to nightlife/restaurants.

It's been 15 years since I've been to Chicago, so any suggestions for things to do would be appreciated.

Thx!

RJ1340 06-09-2005 11:38 AM

Re: Good place to stay in Chicago?

If you're boating, get a slip in Diversey Harbor. Tons of great restaurants in walking distance.
If you're driving, most of the downtown hotels have weekend specials, like $79 for the Ritz Carlton, which is right next to Water Tower.
expedia DOTCOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Marginmn 06-09-2005 12:21 PM

We usually stay at the Palmer house. Just South of the mag mile, one of the great hotels of Chicago. It's just a few blocks walking distance from Monroe Harbor as well. The Italian village restaurant is just around the corner too. A great place to eat.

And Rj1 is right, the ritz is great as well. Stayed there once and loved but I had no idea you could get a room for $79 though. And if you book on the net you might want to check with the hotel and see exaclty what kind of room you are getting. I did one of those $79 room specials online once for chicago and it wound up being about as big as a broom closet.

Quiet Storm 06-09-2005 12:25 PM

Is it easy to get a slip in Chicago?

Payton 06-09-2005 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
Is it easy to get a slip in Chicago?

No, you've got to know somebody. :evilb:

Ms PatriYacht 06-09-2005 09:22 PM

yeah, I used to know this guy that had an in at Diversey :rolleyes:

Dock you also might try Priceline, when on priceline check the 4 star rating and north MI avenue as the area you want to stay in. Start your bid at about $85.00 what ever you get would be very good. I used to do that for trade shows and wound up with some top notch hotels only it has gotten harder :(

A much better idea would be to save your money until middle of July and trailer over with us and do the Chicago Poker Run :D :D Ian and I have been taking the boat to Chicago and it's a lot of fun.

Wally 06-09-2005 10:00 PM

A few people i know have had great luck getting slips at DuSable harbor (or how ever they spell it..)

lucy 06-09-2005 10:23 PM

The W hotel on Lake shore drive, great view of the lake and near great restaurants!

dockrocker 06-10-2005 08:24 AM

Jury is still out, but it looks like we're going to Indianapolis for the Formula 1 race. Thanks to all, we're still looking at maybe coming over later this summer or fall.

Ms PatriYacht 06-10-2005 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by lucy
The W hotel on Lake shore drive, great view of the lake and near great restaurants!

That is one cool hotel, I was lucky and got it on price line. com for 50.00 the first week they opened. I think it is pretty pricy but differnt, very funk sway (I have not idea how to spell that) The lobby is cool, at night it turns into a high tech disco atmosphere and the bar at the top has some awsome views, Last time in Chicago on the boat, I dragged everyone there for a drink just so they could see it.