Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Chris Craft Stinger 260 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105200-chris-craft-stinger-260-a.html)

BOOSTEDSCARAB 06-09-2005 02:34 PM

Chris Craft Stinger 260

Hello All,....

I'm new here. Anyone have good (or bad) things to say about the 84' 260 Stinger? Going to be picking one up and wanted some feedback.....thanks much!!!

Dave-

Dreaminbig 06-09-2005 02:56 PM

Re: Chris Craft Stinger 260

First, welcome to OSO! You should try the Chris Craft owner's forum--scroll down on the Enter Forums page. There are quite a few Stinger owners that can help you out.

Airpacker 06-09-2005 04:12 PM

Check the stringers and transom, then check em again. Contact GlassDave on the board about his, he likes it :)

glassdave 06-09-2005 04:33 PM

yea, check the Chris Craft part of the site. i have an 85 and i love it. built like a tank with NO structural probs what so ever. i believe the later years had some probs but mostly with the lagrer stingers. what kind of info do you have on the one you are looking at? pics? mine is slightly warmed up small blocks and runs 61 on its best day. decent rough water boat and hjas plenty of room on board for weekenders. :cool: :cool:

BajaBreeze 06-09-2005 06:05 PM

Sweet ride- I almost bought one myself... prices are definitely right on these boats. The one I looked was checking out had 700hrs and the engines didn't burn oil and were clean. Also impressive- is the room on board including in the engine compartment. The only thing I know on the down side is that they are a bit on the heavy side...

fund razor 06-10-2005 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They are heavy.

But it translates into a great ride.

I like my 87.

(Shameless pic insertion here.)

BOOSTEDSCARAB 06-10-2005 10:25 AM

Nice boat!

The one I am considering is an 84'. The boat has no engines or outdrives, but the hull is in x-mint condition. The guy want's 3K,..I think it's worth it. Any opinions? I will have to travel to NC to pick it up though. Looks like I will be busy this winter. :cool:

Dave-

fund razor 06-10-2005 11:15 AM

If I was doing one from scratch I think that I would consider SBCs and Volvo SX drives. They are really a cruiser anyway unless you put beasty power in like one guy did.

One thing to know is that everybody who I have ever talked to with a 260 has experienced porpoising. I handle mine by dropping a little tab if my drives are trimmed up. (At least in calm water, which is unusual on Lake Erie anyway.) If it is 2 footers or more it can't get a rhythm going, and it doesn't do it. I know that it costs me a couple mph, but it's not a super go fast anyway.

There are some threads over in the CC section that you will probably get some good info from.

Airpacker 06-10-2005 01:15 PM

Fund, they can go with small blown sbc's and bravos . Friend ran one for years with twin 355 inch 500hp blower motors, bravos mounted high. It ran 80. the motors are for sale up here for around 10 k canadian each fully dressed except distributors.

fund razor 06-20-2005 08:44 AM

I don't know if I would want to be in that hull at 80. :D