Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone have Sirius Radio on the boat ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105265-anyone-have-sirius-radio-boat.html)

OldSchool 01-03-2006 07:41 AM

Re: Anyone have Sirius Radio on the boat ?

Originally Posted by Wardey
It wont shoot through Kevlar !!! Dave

Are you serious? If that's true...DANG!!!

I'm going with XM for the boat. I've got that in my truck, really like it, and I think Howard is a dick.

Scott 01-03-2006 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wardey
It wont shoot through Kevlar !!! Dave

Sorry I think your wrong on this! Kevlar as far as I can tell has Dielectric properties. They use it for pull strands in fiber cables and other non-conductive applications!

Guys Please don't just take the salespersons word for it or the "Old School" wisdom, SAT signals today are a lot stronger than they used to be requiring smaller antennas and less "line of site" When was the last time you saw a 10' dish being installed in someones back yard
:p

So with that said at least try it below dash before you mount it. I have three antennas under my dash, GPS Speedo, Chart Plotter and Sirius. They all work flawlessly!

My Sirius antenna is discreetly mounted on the front dash of my truck and my wifes is discreetly mounted on the rear deck area behind the back seat. Now if I could only get one to work in the house! Can you tell I like clean installs :drink:

Sydwayz 01-03-2006 11:56 AM

I have both, Sirius and XM for the boat. The Xm is integrated through the Sony Head Unit, and the antenna is on the dash. I can't stand it. The reception goes in and out more often than having stomach flu and visiting the bathroom. I have the Sirius Sportster kit that I move from car to truck to jeep to boat. I just use a suction cup mount when I bring it to the boat, and keep take the suction cup mount down and put it away when not in use. I prefer Sirius and if I have a chance, may come up with something better for mounting the Sirius unit this winter.

mike11 01-03-2006 08:51 PM

I have XM in everything I own house, boat, car, tk, shop and love it.

LapseofReason 01-03-2006 09:04 PM

I have the Sirius sportster in my truck then in the boom box at work then in my boat, it has run over 3 days in a row with no problems for over a year now. Don't use an FM signal it will sound bad.

What are all you XM guys going to do when Howard runs XM out of the sky? I'll make the prediction now within 3 years Sirius will either buy out XM or they will be out of the biz.

drypipetiger 01-03-2006 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
I'll make the prediction now within 3 years Sirius will either buy out XM or they will be out of the biz.

Truthfully, I'd second that. Similar thoughts have been my opinion for a while now.

LapseofReason 01-03-2006 09:20 PM

He had 16 mil people in 26 markets, now for the first time ever he will be Nation Wide, now a I don't always like what he says or does, but he's a hell of a lot better than everybody who is just trying to be him.

rdp145 01-03-2006 10:28 PM

I have the Sirius sportster in my truck then in the boom box at work then in my boat, it has run over 3 days in a row with no problems for over a year now. Don't use an FM signal it will sound bad.

What are all you XM guys going to do when Howard runs XM out of the sky? I'll make the prediction now within 3 years Sirius will either buy out XM or they will be out of the biz.

wow! bold statement, with 3 times the subs. and the fact that Howard didn't really raise the price of sirius stock maybe I won't throw my xm away yet.
:D

aquaforce 01-04-2006 12:28 AM

Who is Howard Stearn???????? :evilb: Not Mr Sirius!!!!!! :evilb:

I have XM and would not consider sirius. I don't have any reception issues, better monthly rates by far and great service.
I think Sirius is over priced and over rated.

Ok so I'm cheap :D :D :D

aquaforce 01-04-2006 12:33 AM

He had 16 mil people in 26 markets, now for the first time ever he will be Nation Wide, now a I don't always like what he says or does, but he's a hell of a lot better than everybody who is just trying to be him.

Screen name says a lot on this topic :evilb: :D