Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What's the worst conditions you have been out in? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105345-whats-worst-conditions-you-have-been-out.html)

robyw1 06-11-2005 10:34 PM

Re: What's the worst conditions you have been out in?

I was in terrible conditions today. I went to the pool (because boat is under repair) and it was FAT CHICK DAY. Everywhere you looked whales were all around me and I swear the water was running a foot above normal. I saw this one chick that was leaning against the pool jets and it was making her flab quiver in the most disgusting ways. All I wanted to do was cool off a bit after detailing my car in this Houston heat. Next time I think I will just fill up the bath tub :mad: :mad: :mad:

Roby

X-Rated30 06-11-2005 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
4-5's on Lake Erie in a 22' Baja ..... Actually, it was my first ever boat ride and I was havin a blast ..... I dont think the driver was havin as much fun :rolleyes: :D

Damn, I like you. :cool:

dreamer 06-11-2005 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
A Tiger can do 55 mph in 8-10' seas?...where do I get one?

yes my payboy can do it too

i was out goin to mentor in nasty erie 8s at 3500rpm 55mph
didnt know that the poker run was cancelled and the glsc racers ALL stayed in :eek:

articfriends 06-11-2005 11:04 PM

I was in 55 foot seas in the med during a storm on a ship690ft long,96 ft wide w/36ft draft,we took a 47degree roll,hung there for 30 seconds while a second wave hit us,one guy got leg cutoff from forktrucks bouncing around,lost a 42 ft captains gig (his runabout boat) right over the side,a 10 ton gas fork truck fell over the side too. Ship was creaking and metal was screaching,lost fires in the boilers and went dead in the water in the middle of this all. In the movies everyman in the engine room and fire room keeps the lights on until the ship goes down or recovers,this was no different,we all banded together,survival instinct and second nature kicks in,you do what ever it takes to get going again or you die! Spent 2 weeks in france making emergency repairs just to make it home to the US. My own boat (27 ft baja) i went out on our local bay in 7-10's just to see how it would be one day,they turned to 10-12 foot walls of water spread out 30ft apart,i high idled boat at 2000rpm's and crawled over them slowly trying to keep it from stuffing or taking on water. After30 minutes out we turned around and headed in,nothing i'd want to be in ever again. The boat was o/k but if engine quit you'd be dead,Smitty

DJD 06-11-2005 11:32 PM

In my old 86 38' flat deck Cigarette going from West End Bahamas to Stuart FL
. After two days of attempting to go but turning back, we flew our two girls home, hooked up with a 112' West Ship & piggy backed them. They were heading to Ft. Lauderdale but I didn't care. Anything in front of me to knock down the "12-15' seas, higher in the gulf stream" worked for me as long as they were headed to FL.
The Westship was getting knocked down so violently that they kept changing course to take the seas off the foreward quarter, we ended up going into the Palm Beach inlet. We regularly lost sight of THE 112' YACHT, 60-100 feet in front of us. The seas were steep, breaking giants with vertical backs that had us airborne while we were crawling at a whopping 8-10 kts.
They were much higher than the predicted seas.

X-Rated30 06-12-2005 01:53 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek: and i don't say that about much. :eek:

Originally Posted by DJD
In my old 86 38' flat deck Cigarette going from West End Bahamas to Stuart FL
. After two days of attempting to go but turning back, we flew our two girls home, hooked up with a 112' West Ship & piggy backed them. They were heading to Ft. Lauderdale but I didn't care. Anything in front of me to knock down the "12-15' seas, higher in the gulf stream" worked for me as long as they were headed to FL.
The Westship was getting knocked down so violently that they kept changing course to take the seas off the foreward quarter, we ended up going into the Palm Beach inlet. We regularly lost sight of THE 112' YACHT, 60-100 feet in front of us. The seas were steep, breaking giants with vertical backs that had us airborne while we were crawling at a whopping 8-10 kts.
They were much higher than the predicted seas.

bouyhunter 06-12-2005 06:03 AM

about 20 years ago.
Lake Erie ( I have a few big water Lake Erie stories, so anyone that wants the say the great lakes aren't "offshore"...)
My Dad had a 24' Reinel Hardtop, it was the last run of the season. HAD to take the boat from Toledo to Port Clinton to put it in winter storage (no Trailer). Solid 8-10's, every now and again 12's.
I just remember holding onto both sides of the boat and my feet lifting off the floor every time we crested a wave - and then being bent at the knees as we came up the next one.
We wound up getting lost on the lake and wandered into the firing range of a military base. They sent a helicopter out (spraying up even more water) and they gave us hand signals that basically said "get the he!! out of the firing range Azzhole"

I also recall a group going to Put-in-Bay leaving at 8:00 on a Saturday, I had to go into work for a few hours, so me and my buddy made it to the boat around 11:00 - everyone else said it was too rough and had come back to the Marina. They all drove out and took the ferry to the island. We were in my 25' Baja.
We ran through solid 5'-7's, you could drive through the trough for 2-3 waves and then there was just a wall of water and nowhere to go. Stuffed the bow many times, we were soaked to the skin by the time we got there.
It turned out to be a good party weekend - That's the only time I've been arrested at P.I.B. :evilb:

offshoredrillin 06-12-2005 07:06 AM

worst conditions...ex-girlfrined with a never ending yap..told her to stifle it or she is swimming back. luckily we met at the pier that day,she had her own car I took her back in and said get out:D

Formula Outlaw 06-12-2005 07:45 AM

A very bizarre incident up in Maine. Was trying to go from Northeast Harbor on Mt. Desert Island over to Camden for July 4th weekend in a 242 Formula. Had made this run twice before. About halfway there we ran into semi trouble. Wind picked up and changed direction on us and suddenly found ourselves in 8/10's but spaced very close together. Tried to continue for about five minutes and said screw it. Got turned around and headed back for Northeast Harbor. Really started to get nasty out as some 8 ft. rollers started coming in from the open Atlantic. That was a very long eight/ten mile ride back. We crossed this imaginary line where the seas just settled down to 2/3's. We looked back and it was just a solid wall of water behind us. To this day I don't know if there was some type of current running through there that made the difference or what. All I know I was damn glad to be back out of that mess. Only time I've been out when I was actually a bit scared. Like I said, it wasn't the size of the waves but the closeness of them that made it so difficult to navigate. I ended up basically riding the back of one wave matching speed to it. If I wasn't careful I'd gotten myself into a props out of water and getting stuffed in the nose by the next wave. So I just angled off a bit and rode the back of one particularly big wave until we got into calmer water.

I was only in my second year of boating so today it might not be so bad as it was then. It was pretty tough that day though........:eek:

otis311 06-12-2005 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
A Tiger can do 55 mph in 8-10' seas?...where do I get one?

whats the matter, You dont believe me ??? No bull**** on my part. thats what the seas were allowing me. I would let off just as I crested the wave and then powered back up to keep the nose from stuffing on the way down the wave. They were BIG and spead out. I did it for over 25 miles also !!!