Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need help please look at pictures (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105395-need-help-please-look-pictures.html)

X-Rated30 06-12-2005 09:10 PM

Re: Need help please look at pictures

It's toast. Sell it and buy an outboard cat. :D

32 thunder 06-12-2005 09:25 PM

My pipes are above the swim platform it would be hard to get water in the motor!

KAAMA 06-12-2005 09:57 PM

I agree with the other guys that from your pictures it looks to be a condensation build-up. I am running some oil thermostats (KE Thermofilters) and I would still get the same kind of condensation build-up in my engines on the upper end like yours, but not quite as severe as yours though. I once found it caked on the underside of my intake manifold when I removed it once. At the time I was using Valvoline straight 40w racing oil. A lot of times this will happen during long idling periods when the engines aren't building enough heat for the oil to burn off the condesation----even with the oil thermostats I had/have. However, I since I have added the 160* water thermostats I think it has helped greatly during the long idling periods. Also, I now try to idle out with as high of an idle RPM that I can get away with to keep the oil as warm as I possibly can.
At first (a few years ago) I didn't run a water thermostat because the water pressure was way too high so, I ran without them at first until we got the water pressure problem resolved. I am now using a 160* water thermostat, and my oil thermostats are at 212*. My oil coolers I think are pretty large. For the most part I do my boating in the cooler waters of Lake Michigan and surrounding areas---so I don't know if the water thermostats are helping the condesation problem at idle much though. I may even try using a 180* water thermostat. Just so that you know, this year I will be using Castrol 20w-50 oil.

32 thunder 06-12-2005 10:19 PM

kaama I put 20w 50 in today just to see and build up is still there, but the oil pressure is alot better.How do I get this chit out of there??

robyw1 06-12-2005 11:01 PM

If you don't have any water leaks then It seems as though your oil temperature is too cool. You should do what you can to get it up past 212 but less than 230 to boil off this condensation.

Roby

Pwrbt33 06-13-2005 06:09 AM

As said in prior messages. Itscondensation. You need to look at your tailpipes and manifolds. Your grtting water in the engine from somewhere. Even look at your cylinder heads. What year are your engines? Remeber, when you get moisture in the valve cover and breather it is from your exhaust or tail pipes usually and if you get moisture in the oil and dipstick tube its usually something worse.

John

KAAMA 06-13-2005 06:23 AM

By the way, it may help to know that I am running a completely dry exhaust system and the Castrol 20w-50 I will be using is a conventional (non-synthetic) type.

32 thunder 06-13-2005 03:08 PM

Anybody have a set of 450 hp's motors they want to sell or a set of 500hp's carb they want to sell??

Cigaretteman 06-13-2005 04:01 PM

When you change the oil and filter are the oil fine ? If it is you have a condensation problem if it is milky you have a water leak.

Cigaretteman

Cord 06-13-2005 05:24 PM

Hopefully it's the oil. You already changed it, so run the motors for a while and see if the goo is still there. It should be gone. It just needs a little time to redissolve and evaporate.