Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Have you ever regretted buying too big of a boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105546-have-you-ever-regretted-buying-too-big-boat.html)

Wally 06-14-2005 10:30 AM

Re: Have you ever regretted buying too big of a boat?

It all depends on what you want to deal with......when i had my 30' i thought it was too small.....and it was a trailer queen. I didnt have it in a slip or anything, i took it everywhere i wanted to go boating at. And when talking to others that had larger boats all i heard about was what a pain it was to store.....then while trailering it down, how many drivers dont care you have a large trailer behind you and dont give you any leeway etc.....
Where i live now if i had anything bigger then a 30' boat i dont think i could fit through the streets let alone get it into the drive way!!! But that doesnt mean i wouldnt try! :D :D Most boaters seem to go as big as they can afford not thinking about extra expenses like maybe needing a slip or dry-dock storage or even if their tow vechicle is overloaded!!!....and thats when they get into trouble.

Dean Ferry 06-14-2005 10:35 AM

Nope, bigger is better! :evilb:
Dean

CigDaze 06-14-2005 10:36 AM

Nope. :cool:

BGIII 06-14-2005 10:39 AM

I moved up from 25' to 34'. I could not possibly be happier with the move up. My annual costs now exceed the entire cost of my first boat but oh well. It blows me away everytime out how nice the ride is. I will admit that I am floored by the fuel consumption.

FREEDOM US1 06-14-2005 10:50 AM

No way, It takes a little work to get a 46 Skater to a poker run, but its great running the boat in rough water.

vandy021 06-14-2005 10:50 AM

I would have to say no, but it all depends on the individual.. What type of boating you do, the type of water you run in, how often you are out on the water, dock storage, insurance, hauling, storage. If you are comfortable in the boat size you have stay with it. Bigger isn't always better for everyone. Some people feel better in bigger boats. That's not to say the next guy feels better with a smaller rig. For us personally it was bigger is better. We started out at 19 feet and kept moving up so we could be out on the open water when it got rough. Also we liked the tech. of going to twin step. Some people like the twin step with less power. We preferably liked it because we could go big power with staggered and have a better ballance running in rough water. So, long explination summed up:) It's all up to you and what you feel most comfortable. It's easier to back up a tri axle, it won't turn on you as much!!! I don't know if any of you sea-doo, but I hate those damn trailers!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :evilb: :evilb:

bmanafort 06-14-2005 10:56 AM

I had a 16' for a couple of years, a 35 fountain for a year, and a 42 fountain for 3 years. Sold the 42 this year and bought a 29. I loved the boat but not the bills. I like hanging out in my local river with my friends and they all have smaller boats so my 29 fits better than my 42 did. You also have to ask yourself where you are going and how much space do you need. I could go in long island sound with 4 footers if I wanted to but I cant with my 29 (more like 1 to 2). I will always miss the 42 but I am enjoying the 29 more.

Semper Fi 06-14-2005 11:56 AM

I think it depends on where and how you use the boat. I just bought a home in Lake Havasu, AZ....going to do alot more lake boating. We will probably buy a smaller and lake frendlier boat than what we have now.
The last 2 times I took the boat out of San Diego, there were 8'-10' footers!! I went out about 2 miles and came back in...wasn't too much fun. :(

BZ 06-14-2005 12:54 PM

bigger is better...

Sydwayz 06-14-2005 12:55 PM

Went from (Father's) 18' Imp to (my own) Polaris PWC to 26' Sonic to 37' Active Thunder. Don't regret anything one bit. I really like the 32 Sunsation, 32 AT, and 31 Sonic, but 37' is perfect. I could afford one of the just aforementioned with blue motors, but opted for the bigger boat instead of the higher HP.