Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Have you ever regretted buying too big of a boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105546-have-you-ever-regretted-buying-too-big-boat.html)

H20 Toie 06-15-2005 12:21 AM

Re: Have you ever regretted buying too big of a boat?

I went from a 20 jet to a 35' cig thinking that if it was to big i would sell it and go to a 30'. I have trailered it from Ok to Ca and had it in the ocean and at the river, i took it the the local lake and have loved every minute of it. now if i can find a indoor storage place around here it would be perfect.

Dono 06-15-2005 12:25 AM

Well I started with a 33' boat which is also my current boat. I couldn't imagine going any smaller unless we move to an inland lake, but i would be bored going in circles all day. So i vote go big. :evilb: I wish i could have afforded to jump right in at 42' but that might be scary learning on a 42. :D

electrical1 06-15-2005 03:41 AM

I have a 42' boat. Size is reverend to expense. bigger looks better but does not justify the cost. docking at 100 per foot gets expensive. fuel at over 2.50 a gallon on the water and using approx 50 gallons a hour gets expensive. On the other hand if your looking for comfort bigger is better. Usually if your looking for faster, more enjoyable and easier to manuver smaller is better.

Airpacker 06-15-2005 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dono
Well I started with a 33' boat which is also my current boat. I couldn't imagine going any smaller unless we move to an inland lake, but i would be bored going in circles all day. So i vote go big. :evilb: I wish i could have afforded to jump right in at 42' but that might be scary learning on a 42. :D

I ran 138 miles on my little inland lake last weekend and never covered tha same piece of water twice. I could do a lot longer run doing a circle around lake Ontario, Erie, Huron or Georgian Bay too.

NJgr8ful 06-15-2005 02:38 PM

ABSOLUTELY .......

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

NOT!!!! :drink:

18' Wellcraft ==> 23' Wellcraft ==> 30' Villain ==> 35' Mistress .... smile gets bigger each time.

BODYSHOT1 06-15-2005 02:41 PM

every day... :mad:

articfriends 06-15-2005 11:02 PM

I HATE my 272 Baja unless i'm in a inland lake,next boat will be between 35-42 ft,Smitty

FREEDOM US1 06-16-2005 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by un ortho docs
When did YOU work to get the Skater to a run????

Good point, at this point in the game you need to be prepared to find a good crew to help move a 46 Skater to and from poker runs,help you get the boat in and out of the water and be prepared to spend lots of money on fuel and maintenance. A crew is not totally necessary but it sure is handy. Its definitely not family boating but it sure is fun.

Stormrider 06-16-2005 10:10 AM

I may have to retract my statement.
If my family needs something more comfortable, I would look at an older mistress or 38 flat deck.

outlawinil 06-17-2005 11:58 PM

Yeah every time I take my 33 footer to LOTO I wish I had my 17 foot Larson witha four banger back