Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Part of the problem today with boaters...... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105633-part-problem-today-boaters.html)

Jinga 06-15-2005 01:31 PM

Re: Part of the problem today with boaters......

Originally Posted by fund razor
While it is cool that your higher end dealers like Bill go the extra mile... I think that it is the buyer's responsibility to learn safe boating skills and practice them.

It's still a nice touch when certain dealers do this.

Exactly!!! You can't blame a dealer for the boat buyers inexperience as well as for the reason why there are boating accidents. Thats retarded. Ultimately, it's the responsibility of the boater him/herself to become educated on safe boating, ect... I do agree it is great customer service when dealers provide extra info.
I read in the news the other day that some girl was on her way home from a car dealership with her newly purchased car and got into an accident. Should we blame the car dealership for not asking her if she knew safe driving habits?

Wally 06-15-2005 01:36 PM

To most of us here on the boards we look at accidents and think "WTF were they thinking?" when infact people just assume things when they dont know any better.

Take the story i read about some motorhome company that was sued by a lady that bought a biga$$ motorhome and drove it home on the highway.......she set the cruise controll and went to the back to make a sandwhich!!! You can guess what happened next....she sued the company cause no one said she could do that!!!! AND SHE WON! :mad: You read something like that and think, Is she retarded? does she have ANY common sense?? Well when it comes to covering you a$$ from lawsuits now a days you need to explain things to people like they are 5yr old kids!!! :mad:

fund razor 06-15-2005 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps
Since your talking boating.....does that make it WET DREAMING? :eek: :D

I pictured myself at the helm on a flybridge, waiting to lock through somewhere and smiling at the pretty lock girls.
I think we have our answer. :D

tommymonza 06-15-2005 01:38 PM

I think a basic hands on boating instruction is really needed by a lot of people out there ,the problem i see is most of them think that there is nothing to handling a boat and they will pick it up soon enough.

I see alot of older people down here that could definitely use some instruction and hands on rules of the road.A lot of people take boating safety and power squadron courses and thats a good start,but really lack any hands on experience and coudn,t began to dock their boat in any thing but the best of conditions..not to mention trailering ,anchoring, etc.

Even the captains license is a real joke that proves nothing other than that you know how to study for an exam and pass it.It does not have any hands on exam.I know this from my own experience from being in the position of hiring captains for my 15 years in the parasail business.I would get a lot of applicants that would apply wanting to be referred as CAPTAIN so and so and i would put them behind the wheel and they could barely handle the boat much less fly a parasail behind ,but thats another story.

So to answer your question mike i would say yes there has to be a market for it,and going to the dealers would be a good start.There is nothing to getting a captains license other than getting another captain to verify some sea time for you which is cake, and 40 hours of instruction and an exam and about a thousand bucks.For what you want to do a captains licensee is not required since you are offering instruction not a captaining service. Go for it.

Jinga 06-15-2005 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wally
To most of us here on the boards we look at accidents and think "WTF were they thinking?" when infact people just assume things when they dont know any better.

Take the story i read about some motorhome company that was sued by a lady that bought a biga$$ motorhome and drove it home on the highway.......she set the cruise controll and went to the back to make a sandwhich!!! You can guess what happened next....she sued the company cause no one said she could do that!!!! AND SHE WON! :mad: You read something like that and think, Is she retarded? does she have ANY common sense?? Well when it comes to covering you a$$ from lawsuits now a days you need to explain things to people like they are 5yr old kids!!! :mad:

Are you serious? She won???
What the f????
Some people are so retarded. I think I'll go dig my eyes out :eek:

MnFastBoat 06-15-2005 01:41 PM

Sorry, but this sounds to me like someone just went to McDonalds and bought a cup of hot coffee :(

Why can people not own up to thier own responsibility and get the training ahead of time.

You go buy a motorcycle, they do not teach you to drive it
Same with a car, motorhome or even a bicycle.

YES Licensing should be required for boating, the same as any other power equipement. Hell the thing does not have brakes :(

By the way, next time yuo go and buy a lawn mower make sure you sign up for the training class! :rolleyes:

Jinga 06-15-2005 01:44 PM

By the way, next time yuo go and buy a lawn mower make sure you sign up for the training class! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!!!!!!! :p

tommymonza 06-15-2005 01:52 PM

You know now that you bring up the whole licensing thing and look at what you have to have just to ride a motorcycle in which you are most likely the only one that could be injured on it and than see what some NEWBIE in a 70mph 30 footer is required to have ,and it just doesn't make since that there is no license required.
But my brother inlaw brought up a good point a while back after my 73 year old dad bought a new 45 foot 40,ooo pound motorhome.He says isn't funny that he has to have a CDL and a yearly physical to drive a semi but some 80 year old guy can buy a 50 foot PREVOST bus and drive with no instruction.license ,or physical.

Wally 06-15-2005 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by tommymonza
You know now that you bring up the whole licensing thing and look at what you have to have just to ride a motorcycle in which you are most likely the only one that could be injured on it and than see what some NEWBIE in a 70mph 30 footer is required to have ,and it just doesn't make since that there is no license required.
But my brother inlaw brought up a good point a while back after my 73 year old dad bought a new 45 foot 40,ooo pound motorhome.He says isn't funny that he has to have a CDL and a yearly physical to drive a semi but some 80 year old guy can buy a 50 foot PREVOST bus and drive with no instruction.license ,or physical.

Thats true about the motor home statement....but on the flip side how many 80yr olds are willing to drive more then 8 hours to their destination straight through? They are not out there trying to make a living....just maxin and relaxin during their retirement......
Some lisecing should be required for motor vechicle that could potentially cause death to others.....ut the way the DMV places are so F%$kd up right now it gonna happen for a long long time :(

FunHome 06-15-2005 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
So let me ask you this:

Do you think there is a viable market for a person with good boat handling skills (such as myself) to start a business that would allow boat dealers to "hire out" the delivery process? I don't have a captains license, but would be willing to get one if that's what it took.

Think about it... all the dealer would have to do is contact me (or whomever) to do the delivery... handle all the training, etc... with no liabllity to the dealer? Does anyone thing this could turn into a viable job market? I could see a small service like this being busy from ice out to
Christmas around here!

Back when I was in College and working at a marina, I kinda helped with this end of the sale. Some salesmen, once the the sale is done they are on to the next person to prey on. Yet, Some wouldn't let anyone else talk to their customers in fear of losing the next sale.......Still I would help show the new owners around their new boat, but I never really got the chance to take them out on the water and spend 1/2 a day showing them how to dock, load, launch, drive the boat unless I was delivering the boat to theor dock and they were giving me a ride back to the marina.

Is there a need for this..........Yes

Will a marina owner pay you to come onto their property and show their latest customers how to drive a boat.......doubtful

Will a new boat owner seek this kind of person out to get instruction from.........Not really, Just like when we started boating.........we thought we knew EVERYTHING!!!

If the new boat owners insurance company required this, then yes, marinas would either educate one of their own employee's on how to do this (i.e. Get Certified)
or the new owners would seek out on their own a Certified instructor.