Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Oil Filter recommendation

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Hydro, how is Wix/Napa filters? Mobil 1 better? 525's
This is all from the "Oil Filter Study"
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

"The Wix filter is a very well made filter. My praise goes to Dana for putting some effort into it. Aside from being a stronger case, it also uses a much better filter element (about the same as the AC Delco). Like the AC Delco, it also has a minor internal sealing problem. In this case, the bypass valve has a metal-to-metal seal to the filter cartridge. It probably doesn’t really leak either, but if it did, dirty oil could get to the clean side of the filter. Otherwise it is a good filter. Given the choice between the Wix and the AC Delco at the same cost, I'd pick one while blind-folded. However, the Wix is about twice the price, so"...A/C costs $2.99...

1515 NAPA GOLD "This filter is a Wix filter with the two-piece filter cartridge. As with the Wix filter, the metal bypass valve seats on the metal cartridge end cap with no gasket of any kind. Some small amount of oil probably leaks through there. It also has the tougher paper filter media of the Wix".

"If money is no object, I would go with the Mobil 1. Although it has Champion internals, it has a really tough synthetic fiber filter element, which is the Champion’s only major downfall. The element is stronger and thicker than the Purolator, but they claim that it flows just as good as paper. As with the other low-end Wix filters, it has no internal sealing problems. The $10 price tag is a bit steep, but it is the best filter you can buy retail. Watch for “Mobil 1 Oil Change” sales, which includes 5 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic oil and a Mobil 1 filter. Granted, there are probably better filters available through mail order, but I haven't tested those yet"...

Mobil-1 Oil FIlter Specs..
Average Retail Price
$10

Cartridge Length
4.250 inches

Cartridge Outside Diameter
3.250 inches

Cartridge Inside Diameter
1.625 inches

Cartridge Pleats

Cartridge End Cap Type
Stamped-steel, with bypass valve

Anti-Drainback Valve Type
Nitrile rubber diaphragm

Bypass Valve Type
Spring-loaded steel, nitrile seal

Element Type
Synthetic media, glued seam...........Excellent media

Element Length
85 inches

Element Width
4.125 inches

Element Surface Area
351 square inches

Shell Thickness
0.022 inches

Backplate Thickness
0.138 inches

Gasket Type
Nitrile rubber

Hydrostatic Burst Pressure
600 psi......................................AMAZING

SAE J806 Filtration Efficiency
Single pass: 98%.........................AMAZING!

SAE J1858 Filtration Efficiency
93%............................................AMA ZING
(This means it both flows and fiters very well)

Don't forget the 15W-50 Mobil-1 and 25-50 hour drains depending on how hard you "hit it"...prolonged idle...etc . From the new data I am seeing with this drain interval STP additive is optional..it sure can't hurt as these aren't aluminum blocks.

It's just hopped up engines and engines over 700 HP or so that I still maintain Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin is worth a good hard look.

If you choose to NOT use synthetic oil... with the new reduced ZDDP level in auto oil... my only recommendation is going with Mercury Marine either conventional or their synthetic blend. Who knows if adding STP to conventional oil is enough for a 500 Hp engine?

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-18-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Filter recommendation

Instead of wasting your money on the Mobil or Napa Racing stuff just get the Baldwin B279 for your rig. You'll probably have to go to a diesel or heavy equipment parts place to get them though. Just buy a dozen so you won't have to worry about having them for a while.

http://baldwinfilter.com/
Old 06-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Viper31
Instead of wasting your money on the Mobil or Napa Racing stuff just get the Baldwin B279 for your rig. You'll probably have to go to a diesel or heavy equipment parts place to get them though. Just buy a dozen so you won't have to worry about having them for a while.

http://baldwinfilter.com/
The Baldwin is identical to the Amsoil SD filter as Baldwin makes it for them...that particular filter is about roughly
3% better than the Mobil-1 filter in trapping and flow.

I personally think the Baldwin; Amsoil SD and Mobil-1 are too close to call. The Mobil-1 is made by Champion Aviation and it is the easiest to get for many and the media in it is very good as is the build quality.

If you wanted the Baldwin instead I would concur it is an outstanding choice as well. But I would not agree the Mobil-1 is a waste of money based on some very good test results that conclude otherwise..

The guys looking for more flow are still going to use the Fram Racing HP series as they flow the best but only trap to 17 microns as opposed to the <10 micron range for a Baldwin or Mobil-1.

Some hopped up engines need huge flow and the Racing Fram is the only choice. The clue is if your boat came with a "standard" Merc filter then the Mobil-1 or Baldwin is fine. If your Sterling came with a Fram Racing HP-4 don't switch. Get my drift?
Old 06-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Mobil 1 filter for me. tnks Hydro.

I have to use Merc 25/40 this year to validate warranty.

Next year I'll see synth or dino.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Downtown42
I think the Mobil 1 filter for me. tnks Hydro.

I have to use Merc 25/40 this year to validate warranty.

Next year I'll see synth or dino.
Sounds like a good way to go. You won't go wrong if you decide to stick with Mercury Oil as it has a great additive package including corrosion inhibitors and wear inhibitors

The Mercury Synthetic Blend 25/40 is very good and will keep you in warranty specs. as well i was told with a bit more protection.

We have good reports here on OSO of using Mobil-1 filters on 502's. So you are in good company with your oil filter choice.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-19-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

In light of some reports I read today on Bob's site about 15W-50 Mobil-1 Goldcap shearing down rapidly and some engines dropping oil pressure as a result...my former strong conviction of using either Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin or Redline 20W-50 is back in effect or Amsoil 20W-50 HD. If you use Goldcap it is still better than a conventional oil but change it as if it were a conventional oil is what is being said.

Bob's guys wish Redcap was still available because the Goldcap is not looking all that great from a HTTP standpoint with UAO's that keep coming in.. It is probably a sign that the additive to basestock ratio is not nearly as good as Recap was.

It's not that the sky is dropping out but rather that to get the level of protection Redcap offered you need to look at upgrading.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OK. I was able to figure out from all of the above that the Mobil 1 filter is best.... WHAT IS THE PART #???? PLEASE LAY OFF ALL THE DETAIL TALK.. IN LAYMAN'S TERMS,,,,,,,,,,,,WHAT FILTER TO BUY?? WHAT OIL TO BUY??? STOP GIVING 10 PAGES OF SMALL TALK................