Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   White Vinyl in Cabin Devoloping Yellow spots..Help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105939-white-vinyl-cabin-devoloping-yellow-spots-help.html)

DanB 06-20-2005 12:56 PM

Re: White Vinyl in Cabin Devoloping Yellow spots..Help

Sun block and lotion combined with sweat will cause white vinyl to get a yellowish stain. My wifes bolster turns and mine doesnt because I dont use either.Usually if you wipe it down with bleach and then water right after it will go away. Keep the bleach off the stiching!!

X-Rated30 06-20-2005 01:14 PM

If it is yellow, I would bet it is mold, and not mildew. I have a friend that had this happen to her BMW that she kept in a hot garage in Dallas.

BillR 06-20-2005 02:23 PM

Whatever I had; NOTHING would touch it. I tried everything. Thus I think it was under the vinyl.
Now it looks stunning!

gripit 06-20-2005 02:48 PM

I don't know what the hell it is, but I'm going to try x-14, whesley bleech, and if no luck then good old fashion clorox. In that order. Hopefully, one of them will work!! I will let you guys know.

Indy 06-20-2005 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by DanB
Sun block and lotion combined with sweat will cause white vinyl to get a yellowish stain. My wifes bolster turns and mine doesnt because I dont use either.Usually if you wipe it down with bleach and then water right after it will go away. Keep the bleach off the stiching!!

You might be on to something here, sunblock + sweat = yellowish stains on my t-shirts. I just shoot some Shout or something on it before I throw it in the laundry.

PatriYacht 06-20-2005 04:18 PM

Use the bleach a cup or two in a gallon of water with some laundry detergent. It'll make the skin on your hands peel, so wear gloves. Let it sit for a while then scrub with a brush then rinse. On bad stains I've poured it on full strength. Don't drop it on anything with color like the carpet. My ski boat is 12 years old and the vinyl still looks great.

Poorsche 06-20-2005 04:24 PM

Might be worth trying those Mr Clean Erasers before tryiong bleach. I used some Wesleys on white vinyl and it seemed to remove the top layer of the finish. It's never looked right since I tried Wesleys on the vinyl and it's never changed anything else. THe erarsers seemed to work very well with out chaning the vinyl.

Strip Poker 388 06-20-2005 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Poorsche
Might be worth trying those Mr Clean Erasers before tryiong bleach. I used some Wesleys on white vinyl and it seemed to remove the top layer of the finish. It's never looked right since I tried Wesleys on the vinyl and it's never changed anything else. THe erarsers seemed to work very well with out chaning the vinyl.

I second the Eracers. It worked pretty good on my interior

gripit 06-20-2005 08:12 PM

Nothing works. X-14, Whestles, bleach, Nothing will remove these yellow stains. I going to look behind the vinyl and see if its coming from behind. I'll let you know.

Back4More 06-20-2005 08:21 PM

Try RollOff and get some light on it.