Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Labor $$ for gimbles rings (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/106034-labor-%24%24-gimbles-rings.html)

Lime Disease 06-21-2005 04:02 PM

Labor $$ for gimbles rings

Whats a fair price to have the gimble rings replaced
twins bravo 1 If needed quoted 1250 labor and 800 each ring Is this in the ballpark?

CIG3 06-21-2005 04:08 PM

Re: Labor $$ for gimbles rings

Try Wildthing/ Taz on the board ,, He rebuilds gimble rings and sells a DIY kit that makes changing pretty simple and servicing even easier.,, His phone is 216-390-1330 he is the B-Max dealer/ JR Marine ,,, Ask Ron

wildthing357 06-21-2005 04:31 PM

I paid around $ 1600

epeek 06-21-2005 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by CIG3
Try Wildthing/ Taz on the board ,, He rebuilds gimble rings and sells a DIY kit that makes changing pretty simple and servicing even easier.,, His phone is 216-390-1330 he is the B-Max dealer/ JR Marine ,,, Ask Ron

There isnt anything simple about that job,especially
if the swivel pin is corroded in. That job is not for
faint of heart. You have to be very mechanical to get thru it
if there are corrosion issues. By the way,I did use Rons
kit. Its the only way to go. But its still a pain in the a$$
job!!!

Lime Disease 06-21-2005 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by wildthing357
I paid around $ 1600

Was that labor or the whole thing. If whole thing who I`m on lake st. clair too.

Tim G. 06-21-2005 06:27 PM

and don't forget that IMCO has billet gimbal rings.....
You may want to check the $$

32storm 06-21-2005 08:33 PM

$800/ring isn't bad $'s. If you shopped for the parts only, you do a little better.

The labor $'s seem high, but I don't know what hourly rate you are dealing with. Don't forget, they'll need to drill side access holes, or go with front style plate with drilling/punch-out as well. Either way, it is a major pain in the azz.

t500hps 06-21-2005 09:23 PM

Just had a motor pulled and rebuilt. The gimbal ring on that side was bad too so we replaced it while in there. Labor is hard for me to judge since the motor was out already, but I think I paid for an addl. 6 hours labor for the ring replacement. The ring was almost $800 parts only. It seems the price is for them to pull the motors to do the replacement. There is a kit where you drill large holes in the top sides of your transom assembly, but I wouldn't recommend that route for both cosmetic and quality of work reasons.
Good Luck....

Tantrum 06-21-2005 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by CIG3

I second/third and fourth that.
This should be you first call, talk to Ron. His kit makes the job much easier and when I did mine he had rehabed rings at a decent price if you send your old one back.
Buy a set of his knoched, custom bent wrenches and have at it.

wildthing357 06-22-2005 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lime Disease
Was that labor or the whole thing. If whole thing who I`m on lake st. clair too.

Lime,

That was the whole thing, I had Millenyum marine do it in Harrison twp. Lenny did a great job for me.