Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Torsion Axles vs Leaf Springs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/106586-torsion-axles-vs-leaf-springs.html)

FOUNTAINATLAST 06-28-2005 10:50 PM

Re: Torsion Axles vs Leaf Springs

I have the torsion bar axles and have to admit, they do ride very smooth and are quiet. Haven't owned it long enough to give my 02 on repairs though. One thing I did notice is that even though I feel no bounce in the truck I see the trailer boucing alot, almost like the trailer needs shocks???? Anybody else see this??? :rolleyes:

US1 Fountain 06-28-2005 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
The torsion is also more independent, if the trailer is not exactly level you do not get the lever action the spring cause, you have seen it, the tongue is too high and the front axle is unsprung causing all the weight on the rear. I saw one today where the front wheels were moving slower than the rear which means they were barely touching, I bet he didn't make it too far.

Not unless the one you seen was lifted 8' in the air or had separate springs with no linkage, (old technology). ;) Leaf spring trailers are not effected by tongue height like torsions are. The springs are not noticing any difference in load, they are just pivoting. Place a scale under each tire then raise and lower each trailer at the tongue. You will be surprised at the findings. A leaf spring trailer( assuming the standard setup using the equalizer link) can be lifted/dropped to extremes with the weight being divided equally between the axles. Consider Dock Holidays statment, of a flat tire. Only takes a 4x4 under 1 tire to raise the other off the ground. Because there is no weight equalizing on a torsion. A torsion trailer by design allows each wheel to be independent of each other. The more the trailer tongue is raised/lowered, the more weight is shifted to the axle that is on the lowered end.

keep in mind I am using the leaf spring trailers with the equalizer link in my comparisons as it is the most common setup.

US1 Fountain 06-28-2005 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINATLAST
I have the torsion bar axles and have to admit, they do ride very smooth and are quiet. Haven't owned it long enough to give my 02 on repairs though. One thing I did notice is that even though I feel no bounce in the truck I see the trailer boucing alot, almost like the trailer needs shocks???? Anybody else see this??? :rolleyes:

Mine bounced too. It's the rubber cushions in the axle compressing and such. I agree, mine was very quiet and smooth.

GoCiggie31 06-29-2005 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINATLAST

Just trailered the rig little less than 200 miles this a.m. to the shop, no noticable bounce, very pleased tracked straight, really like the triple torsion. Very new though so maybe after a while it may loosen up and start bouncing-will watch for that. Towing approx a 9500lb 31 footer with new low miliage Denali , flat terrain good roads.

Tonto 06-29-2005 01:35 AM

On the torsion axle trailers, the axles are either welded or bolted to the frame of the trailer, totally independent of each other. This means that the trailer MUST be set-up perfectly level behind the tow vehicle in order to not OVERLOAD one axle. Yes, Dexter, does NOT reccommend torsions for triple set-ups. I personally prefer the spring trailers for the load equalization that you get with the equalizers between the axles. I've heard of people putting their torsion axle trailers up on curbs to change flats, and I just think about how much load they are putting on that one axle. As far as thinking that they don't wear out, it's a tube with a rubber bushing in it, when your trailer goes in the water with the boat on the trailer, the two square tubes have the rubber bushing "crushed" and I can usure you that water is getting in the the axle. Sorry, I'm just an "old school" person, my MYCO is 11 years old with around 50,000 miles on it.

Robert

Eric Froberg 06-29-2005 07:27 AM

Torsion. Wouldn't own anything else. Smooth as silk with radial tires, loaded or unloaded.

Formula Outlaw 06-29-2005 07:33 AM

I replaced my "leaf" springs with the "single piece" springs late summer of 03'.

No leafs mean no place for salt water to get into and stay and eat away at the springs. "Two Brothers" in Englewood did the repair and they swear guys down here are getting seven/eight seasons out of a set. One guy who fantatically rinses his trailer, like five minutes per spring will probably get ten out of his. I see no noticable rust on mine, I rinse thoroughly, then spray them down good with WD-40.

Trailer runs much quieter than before, although still the occasional creak and groan. Of course, I do that occasionally too. :D :D

Undertaker 06-29-2005 01:08 PM

Thanks guys GREAT feedback.

He is another question, who owns a MYCO trailer, and what do you have torsion or leaf springs? Thanks again.

Tonto 06-29-2005 02:03 PM

MYCO trailer and cradle on the lift and love both of them.

44MTI 06-29-2005 03:01 PM

Myco triple axles torsion, Love it.