Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anybody Selling Their Boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/106590-anybody-selling-their-boat.html)

innthered 06-28-2005 06:03 PM

Anybody Selling Their Boat?

I've had my 47 Fountain for sale for two years. It's been in Powerboat Magazine, on Boattrader.com and is on OSO. I have had a couple people inquire about it, but thats about it.

I know the market is bad, but has anybody sold their used boat? I'm talking about the $200K+ boats, although maybe nobody is selling/buying.

Come on guys...you are supposed to keep moving up! Buy a bigger boat! I went 27 - 35 - 42 - 47 in eight years, as did a lot of people I know. Is this not happening anymore?

dreamer 06-28-2005 06:21 PM

Re: Anybody Selling Their Boat?

selling mine... LOTS of action... ones flying in

OldSchool 06-28-2005 06:36 PM

I sold mine yesterday. It was for sale since May 1st. Lots of action, but it seemed that most of the people had a boat that they needed to sell first.

Jassman 06-28-2005 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by innthered
I've had my 47 Fountain for sale for two years. It's been in Powerboat Magazine, on Boattrader.com and is on OSO. I have had a couple people inquire about it, but thats about it.

I know the market is bad, but has anybody sold their used boat? I'm talking about the $200K+ boats, although maybe nobody is selling/buying.

Come on guys...you are supposed to keep moving up! Buy a bigger boat! I went 27 - 35 - 42 - 47 in eight years, as did a lot of people I know. Is this not happening anymore?

If you're going to step up you cant get much bigger than a 50 Nortech, Hustler or OL . It could be the triple engine/drive- maint.thing. Sometimes size scares alot of people. Good luck...

Sean H 06-28-2005 07:10 PM

i say your in a tough spot with that fountain, first it seems the news ones get cheaper or easier to buy every year which hurts the used ones, then i think that length of boat really limits your market, also with the new 47 bottom coming out this year might not help your sale..... and after two years, you might be just too high?

thisistank 06-28-2005 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
i say your in a tough spot with that fountain, first it seems the news ones get cheaper or easier to buy every year which hurts the used ones, then i think that length of boat really limits your market, also with the new 47 bottom coming out this year might not help your sale..... and after two years, you might be just too high?

Couldn't agree more. Reggie is KILLING his after market market with the deals on new Fountains, easy financing, etc. The market is just flooded right now with Fountains right now. Alot of dealers wont even take them on trade due to the fact they are hard to push. Just too many on the market. I'm not bashing Fountain so don't get me wrong. It's just an observation and what I've heard from people in the know. Good luck with the sale.

later 06-28-2005 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
being a fountain owner for the last 10yrs (42's) i will add my observations, the 47 which is a awesome boat by the way has a couple things going wrong for it, triple engines and lenght, most dont want to hassle with a triple engine maintenance and most dont have the space for lenght. a few years ago i was ready to move up to a 47 from my present 42, i boat LOTO and the water gets rough and i was looking for the ride ( got a bad back ) but decided that the lenght was just to much for my boating style . i like to go in and out of the resturants and bars and the 42 is enough of a problem to find space to dock. but i think that the biggest reason that you dont have much action is that it is a red boat and from the get go you have been at the upper price range compared to the other 47's on the market. Not to mention it takes a special buyer for a 47 right know there are quite a few 47 on the market. And im sure reggies pricing stratagy didnt help you out either. For me i was glad to see reggie bring back the classic deck (executioner) now mine cant be told from a new one except to the knowledgeable ones as i have side by sides with the extra cockpit space and reggie doesnt build them that way any more. good luck with your selling of your boat.
later

DollaBill 06-29-2005 10:20 AM

The ONLY reason a boat does or does not sell is because of price. It's that simple. There is a 47 buyer waiting for one right now, but if he is serious he is starting at the bottom of the prices and working up. It all comes down to how bad you want to sell it.

Semper Fi 06-29-2005 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
The ONLY reason a boat does or does not sell is because of price. It's that simple. There is a 47 buyer waiting for one right now, but if he is serious he is starting at the bottom of the prices and working up. It all comes down to how bad you want to sell it.

I would have to agree. I know it sucks to lose alot of money on selling your boat. If it hasn't sold in 2 years, I would lower the price also. Good luck. :D

Clay Washington 06-29-2005 01:29 PM

Two things sell a boat (or anything else)... getting enough exposure and pricing it right.

If it's not selling, then advertise more and/or lower the price. Period. :)