Notices

Searace and John Crouse

Old 06-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searace and John Crouse

Originally Posted by T2x
For the record I am not John Crouse....... He is much nicer than me....
His knowledge is second to none for the period 1958-1988, after which he basically pulled away from the sport. There is some debate over whether I have any base of knowledge at all........ but, I win an occasional debate or two...... I have been fortunate enough to participate in many forms of boat racing, from Stock Outboard to OPC to Offshore over most of my life.
I've raced boats, built boats, sold boats, announced races and Poker Runs on TV for 20 years and wrote a few articles on the sport to boot..... I have a fairly good memory for details and was in "right place/right time" more often than not.

My relationship with John is quite interesting......... He was doing paid publicity for my boat companies while he was writing his history. He signed my copy to "One of the guys who made offshore history"..............and left me out of the book.

I am apparently vaguely forgettable.

T2x........
I will be seeing John Crouse next week (week of July 4th).
My wife and I spent every evening we could at his house last year while on vacation, and will do so again. I have offered once and am going to TRY to help get 'Searace 2' off the ground. John is a great guy and it is a rare treat to talk to someone like him - no ego trip, just a lot of knowledge.

He provided me with a TON of documentation on my Scarab and Betty Cook, and never wanted anything in return.

I have noticed a couple of times when Powerboat made passing mention of his attendance at events- If they pulled their heads out their asses they could do a 'Great moments in offshore history' with John. Or maybe OSO could...

http://www.searace-crouse.com/

Bulldog
Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Searace and John Crouse

that sounds like a good plan............m.m.........
Old 06-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered

I was lucky enough to meet John on Lake George, NY one summer. He told me plenty about my Aunt Betty and told me to give him a call any time if I was ever looking for any information! Very similar to what Bulldog said. Can't wait for the new book to come out, should be a great read.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great idea! Crouse's knowledge of the sport and it's history is second to none. My parents still see him now and then when they are down in FL...he's a great guy..even e-mails me too now and then.

Here's an old picture of him and my dad, Charlie McCarthy, at World Championships in Argentina in 1978.

The Alitalia boat pictured here won...it was an incredibly rough race - Bill Elswick's boat sunk...
Attached Thumbnails Searace and John Crouse-file0263a.jpg   Searace and John Crouse-file0352a.jpg   Searace and John Crouse-file0353a.jpg  

Old 06-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Registered

I met him a few weeks ago. He lives near me and was very interesting to talk to.

Bulldog, are you going to the APBA race on the lake while you are visiting?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Registered

Im definately down for a copy of 2 of his next book. Never met the guy in my life, talked to him today for a few minutes over the phone and the storries I he told in that short time were amazing.

Thanks John,

that definately made my day.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read this thread, hit his link, and ordered a copy of Searace. I've got copies of almost all of the other offshore books out there, this will be a nice addition. Can't wait to get it.