Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Top Gun 39 Unlimited or Nor-Tech or Outerlimits? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/107133-top-gun-39-unlimited-nor-tech-outerlimits.html)

Sonicdriver 07-09-2005 09:15 AM

Re: Top Gun 39 Unlimited or Nor-Tech or Outerlimits?

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
Also look on classifieds at how many Cigs are for sale over 80 that should tell you something.

It doesn't tell me anything. What are you implying?

Tim G. 07-09-2005 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sonicdriver
It doesn't tell me anything. What are you implying?

Yeah, It doesn't mean much...
Cig has been building boats a lot longer than OL or NorTech...and a lot more of them.

Cig has an awful lot of repeat buyers.. Some of these boys get new boats every year or two...

Cig just builds more boats. OL and NT could if they had bigger facilities, and more employees.... Yes, they could build just as good a boat..

Pricing on the 850 Cig vs the trip 600 boat... The 850s will cost quite a bit more up front..and require more maintenance on the engines.

CMG 07-09-2005 09:55 AM

will twin 850's need #6 drives????

Jassman 07-09-2005 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tim G.
Cig has been building boats a lot longer than OL or NorTech...and a lot more of them.

Cig has an awful lot of repeat buyers.. Some of these boys get new boats every year or two...

Cig just builds more boats. OL and NT could if they had bigger facilities, and more employees.... Yes, they could build just as good a boat..

Pricing on the 850 Cig vs the trip 600 boat... The 850s will cost quite a bit more up front..and require more maintenance on the engines.

Curiosity, How many boats a year does Cig build, 60-80. All three facilities are awesome, in there own way. Tim, I believe NT and OL builds as good of a boat to Cig. Plus/minus in all three. I had a Cig,(2000 SS Top gun) not a good year for that hull, it soured me on Cigs and how poorly run the factory was in taking care of their customers, especially with a faulty hull design. In 01 they changed to a twin step. Since Skip has been there I believe things have changed for the good. I do have friends with Cigs, OL and NT whom all love their machines, and I like checking them out.

On the triple 600, you have the weak link, the drives will require rebuilds. Its a catch 22.

Jassman 07-09-2005 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by CMG

You will need something with a tranny, A #6, Weisman, or Arneson.

Spine Tingler 07-09-2005 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by CMG

Absolutely

Mentalpause 07-09-2005 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by pm203
All this positive talk about the Nor-tech is nice,and I can appreciate what they have done,but looks alone,the Nor-tech is too cheesy looking for me.The Cigarette and Outerlimits look well porportioned and well designed with smooth flowing lines and an overall shape that is hot and pleasing to the eye. The Nor-tech design looks like the same mistake BMW made with their 7 series.The design is choppy,the rear awful,and the cockpit looks like major Bling designed it. I dont mean to put the boat down,and while it may drive and ride as well or better than any of the others,bottom line;Its not a pretty boat.

cheesy would not be a term I would use when describing Nortech lines. I think they all have nice lines. Some boats have more smooth, some more chiseled. But that is more personal presference.

I'd take any of these boats....but not the Cig if the cabin was very high on my list.

lucky strike 07-09-2005 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by _vonb
Was out on the Gulf today in a 42 Lightning with 900SC's and all I can say is WOW!!! 80mph in 2 ft seas with no drama whatsoever. Even with yours truly at the wheel :D

Easily over 100 mph with the owner at the wheel and should go 112-115 mph flat out. But it really wasn't how fast it went, it was how it went fast. I'm in love with that machine. :drink: :drink: :drink:

PS. No signs of Dennis out here, not yet...

You should ride in a Cigarette then :drink:

LS JR.

Spine Tingler 07-09-2005 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by _vonb
Was out on the Gulf today in a 42 Lightning with 900SC's and all I can say is WOW!!! 80mph in 2 ft seas with no drama whatsoever. Even with yours truly at the wheel :D

Easily over 100 mph with the owner at the wheel and should go 112-115 mph flat out. But it really wasn't how fast it went, it was how it went fast. I'm in love with that machine. :drink: :drink: :drink:

PS. No signs of Dennis out here, not yet...

That 42 will handle the water very well! I've had over 50 hours in a 42 fountain in all types of water and they perform excellent!!

Cash Bar 07-09-2005 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tim G.

Tim, I know you have the inside scoop. I just remember being quoted 127k for 850 attached to a #6 drive. Times 2 that doesn't sound all that bad compared to a trip. 600 combo when you consider the drive maintenance and such. Either way your into the $500's I would think.