Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How much slower are Standard length Sportmaster drives than XR lowers? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/107269-how-much-slower-standard-length-sportmaster-drives-than-xr-lowers.html)

Marginmn 07-08-2005 11:10 AM

How much slower are Standard length Sportmaster drives than XR lowers?

I've heard that the longer skeg on the sportmasters slows them down a bit - can anyone guess how much slower a 38 Fever with new 525's and standard length Sportmasters would be vs the XR lowers?

Are you talking about a mile an hour or is it more drastic?

masher44 07-08-2005 03:42 PM

Re: How much slower are Standard length Sportmaster drives than XR lowers?

you can buy a set for $4,180 and try them out now :D :D

masher44 07-08-2005 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by masher44
you can buy a set for $4,180 and try them out now :D :D

I take it you got your boat? How is it running?

Marginmn 07-08-2005 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by masher44
I take it you got your boat? How is it running?

No, I am suppose to pick up my boat next week. Much to my surprise I learned that a new drive I bought as a package deal with a pair of 525's and shipped to my rigger back in Feb turns out to be a Sportsmaster instead of a regular XR.

On the plus side it is a more expensive drive, but on the downside I have to buy another one - and I've heard that they are a bit slower than their standard XR counterparts. I was wanting to get some feedback as to weather this was true or not that they run a bit slower.

I have some pics of my boat but I need to figure out how to resize them.

masher44 07-09-2005 12:49 AM

I think it will depend on your X dimension. Is there a way to try both? Randy might be able to work that out for you. I know they supposedly work great on the Cig side by side set up...

It is a quick change for you to try both ways if they have a spare one.

Strip Poker 388 07-16-2005 01:26 PM

Anybody else have any experance with this????

iamfaster 09-12-2005 05:24 PM

XR Sportmaster regular size (not shorty), compared to regular XR.... will the Sportmaster be slower at the same drive height?

GOODT 09-12-2005 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As a Fountain and Cigg dealer I will say that fountain has the best x dim out there thats what Reggies all about as for slower yes the sportmaster has a longer sheg but at the same time it has a better profile so I would have to say one cancels the other but if you want I can call down tomorrow and get the test sheets faxed to me on both ( unlike a lot of manufacturers Fountain test runs every boat before it leaves and documents everything !!!!!

iamfaster 09-12-2005 09:05 PM

Goodt, it would be interesting to see the results. I am searching for new drives and found a set of XR's with regular Sportmaster's.