Notices

Another Accident

Old 07-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another Accident

Certainly glad no one was hurt. That was one lucky boat owner. Could have been a thousand times worse.

Hope they throw the book at him in any way possible.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Registered

A shame, glad everyone was OK. I am sorta bummed so many people slammed this guy. Has everyone that slammed this guy always worn their lanyard? I don't mean "always" like now...I mean throughout their entire boating hobby. I wonder if any of you have ever gone at speed in a boat without your lanyard on? Not just limited to concept of lanyards, I think most of us have done things in their past that they now know is dangerous and have become better educated and safer. (wiser?) Can't we look at situations like this as a guy that did get lucky enough to become educated before something bad happened? One of the things I have always enjoyed about this site is I feel it greatly accelerates the learning curve and I will be the first to admit I have learned a ton of things and thazt OSO not only entertain me, dare I say it make me a better/safer boater. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Andy0331
WTF?? How stupid are these people? If I'm not in a long (15 min or more) idle zone, it's on me. This is a dark weekend for performance boating. Not only do we get tragic losses of lives, health & property, we also get the benefit of risisng insurance rates and a worse perception in the eyes of the public.

Want more speed limits, more rules, more gov't interference? This is the way to go about it.

/rant off
I HEAR YA MY BROTHER
Old 07-10-2005, 11:02 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

since when are concrete seawall's stronger than fiberglass boats???

JH
Old 07-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Registered

I wear my lanyards whenever I'm running faster than say 35 mph or if I'm anticipating running faster than that. Or whenever I'm "offshore" in the Gulf. I admit I might be a little niave (spelling?) here but running 25 mph in the ICW I don't figure I'm going to get thrown out of the boat.

I agree with your comments Mike, but one has to take accountability for one's actions. The guy screwed up, bad. I've ridden with "others" who were not wearing their lanyards and I ALWAYS point that out to them and insist they put them on. I think this is one of the BIGGEST safety issues about high performance boating. Remember the xxxxxxxxxxxxx that ended up in the woods in a tree? A speeding boat with no driver is basically a missle looking to explode. There are some BASIC/COMMON SENSE rules that should be adhered too. Lanyards, I feel, are one of them.

Or as my Father would have said, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

Slowhand: there are times to be funny and times to be not. This is one of those "not" times.......
Old 07-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
.....and I'm sure you're a regular Adonis.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wonder if this would make it a more pleasant task ? 549.00 .....

http://www.maritechsafety.com/main.php?p=vl
Attached Images  

Last edited by offthefront; 07-10-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Registered

Putting on the lanyard should be second nature when you turn the keys..I dont think any of us are going to just cruise are boats at 35-40 when there are no restrictions. This is the thought I always have in the back of my mind. My boat headed to shore (people) and me ejected watching it unfold. TURN THE KEY- STRAP IT ON -THEN SHIFT. If you wait till later you'll get distracted and forget it.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Banned

I always wear my lanyard when on a plane. Russ, remember, a freind of mine got killed two years ago running 30 mph because he didn't have his lanyard on.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Holy Sht! That's unbelievable! Glad no one was hurt. The guy's a phucking idiot, should have worn the lanyard!

Quick Reply: Another Accident

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.