Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Crash Victims Brother Thx (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/107489-crash-victims-brother-thx.html)

carney 07-13-2005 08:33 PM

Re: Crash Victims Brother Thx

sorry to hear of your losses. let us pray.

n2boatn2 07-13-2005 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
Sorry for your loss,

I don't know where you are going with what you are asking, but I will advise you not to go the wrong direction.

and if Bob is reading this I would love to go for a ride with you if you ever have an open seat. and you are welcome to throttle my boat any time you want. ( you may want turbo motors if you ever throttle my boat tho)

Tyson

Whats up with this response? The man ask a reasonable question,Give him a reasonable answer. And as far as ADVICE goes ,, why make a threatning commit like that?? If you can't help don't hurt ( Your not the only one with DEEEEEP pockets ) and I don't give advice or threaten anyone.

Sonicdriver 07-13-2005 09:36 PM

First, sorry for your loss.

Bob Russell is one of the best drivers there is. However the throttleman can only do so much with an unexpected turn. I don't know the experience of the driver so I won't speculate. When a car gets loose on the track, you can feel it and make corrections. However, when the hull looses connection with the water like what happened Saturday you can't do anything but hope it goes all the way to 180 before it stops. It would be very difficult for a person to get ejected with the boat upright going backwards. At at 90* angle, it's very easy.
The hull would have only started to capsize when it was at a 90* angle from it's trajectory. the hull/ drives would have caught some sort of "traction" which then leans to the outside. That is when the passengers would have gone out.
I'm not saying this is what happened, I'm only trying to give you some insight as to what can happen.

Need-the-Speed 07-14-2005 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sonicdriver
First, sorry for your loss.

Bob Russell is one of the best drivers there is. However the throttleman can only do so much with an unexpected turn. I don't know the experience of the driver so I won't speculate. When a car gets loose on the track, you can feel it and make corrections. However, when the hull looses connection with the water like what happened Saturday you can't do anything but hope it goes all the way to 180 before it stops. It would be very difficult for a person to get ejected with the boat upright going backwards. At at 90* angle, it's very easy.
The hull would have only started to capsize when it was at a 90* angle from it's trajectory. the hull/ drives would have caught some sort of "traction" which then leans to the outside. That is when the passengers would have gone out.
I'm not saying this is what happened, I'm only trying to give you some insight as to what can happen.

Could it be possible that: Instead of a Hook and roll to one side, the boat actually made a complete 180 without rolling, rather, the transom continued in the original forward direction, pouring water over the engine hatch at such a force that it bent the seats in the bow direction ( like stuffing the bow only going backward), completely destroying the restraint system (fiberglass) and as a result ejecting all of it's occupants in the bow direction (or back toward the pack of on coming boats), further, filling the entire vessel with water and in the end sinking her up until the last cavity bubble in the bow.
Obviously, I would look at the position of the tabs and the last height of the drives. If the tabs were down (they may have been put down in error, instead of the drives in preparation for the turn) It would REALLY make the transom DIG into the water. I know on my own boat (29) if my tabs are down when I back up, I can see downward pull. I can only imagine how bad this would have been at 70 or 80 or 90 miles an hour. One more thing, during the interview with the fishing boat the man said it looked like an explosion. If it were a "normal" hook and roll there would have been a lager % of spray in one direction. In a rapid submersion the spray might have gone in the upward direction more like an explosion. Think about throwing a heavy baseball in the water from shore and standing on the dock and dropping the ball in the water, two different splash styles. I have absolutely no idea if any of the above could physically occur. I'm just trying to put different angles out there. In the end, the mystery will be solved by Mr. Russel.

I'm very sorry for the losses in this accident. May your brother rest in piece. :(

BigSilverCat 07-14-2005 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by n2boatn2
Whats up with this response? The man ask a reasonable question,Give him a reasonable answer. And as far as ADVICE goes ,, why make a threatning commit like that?? If you can't help don't hurt ( Your not the only one with DEEEEEP pockets ) and I don't give advice or threaten anyone.

there is more going on with this then you know.

racer-x6 07-14-2005 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by n2boatn2

I don't think he ment it as a threat, I think he ment don't go asking questions with the intent of trying to blame someone for what happen.
Not sure what you ment by deeeep pockets but I'm sure he feels as bad as everyone else.
My prayers to all the familys
Just my .02

SMOKDU 07-14-2005 11:36 AM

thx Need the speed

this is stuff that i wanted. i bo not blame anyone im not that type of person. let me tell you a storie that happened over the weekend and ill tell

my sister and i were on foot walking to a Ford Dealer (R E Barber in holland Mi.) to give you an idea where im going. our Family owns two Ford dealers in Wisconsin and i am in a high position there to understand the day to day workings. it was alot farther than we thought after walking to 2 miles i walked into a gas station and a nice lady ( Marty) gave us a ride to the dealer. to make a long storie short i told her to leave because i was 100% sure thay would help me out. they did nothing and would not give us a car at that point. we left on foot. the new car manager made the call (bad call). this made me mad. more mad then what happend. so you guys have helped me with more info than anyone in the last few day. i belong to many sites and im aware that there is always one person that will add some stupid response. im no mad at Bob or anyone here. you guys did a great job at the scene. the best you could have done under that tring time.

thx again please email me any pics you have of mike on this boat for his kids later in life. at one point they will want some answers and i want to say i did everthing i could at this time. this is where im going with this if you are unsure.

thx
smokdu
mark

BK 07-14-2005 01:47 PM

Dear Mark,

You have my sincere sympathies. And I am so sorry for the hassles you've been encountering (Like at the car dealership). That's the last thing you need at this time.

But the majority of the powerboating fraternity are close knit - like family. That's why you've seen so many come to post their sympathy as well as their own sorrow when learning that these lives were lost. They hurt with you.

I'd like to add a little from my experiences with other families who have lost a family member at similar powerboating events - one of the first reactions is "Why?". The mind is flooded with questions - to try and make sense of it all.

One of the best ways to heal and deal with a tragedy like this is to get a clearer understanding of something that feels so distant. Any insight from those who were there, or those who have experience with situations like these, actually will help dull the pain the family is feeling.

I hope you find the answers you seek, Mark, and I hope your heart will soon begin to mend. Please let Mike's family know how much we care too.

BK

MitchStellin 07-14-2005 04:00 PM

Hey Mark, it was great meeting you and your sisters last night. I bought that X at Barber and I don't go back for service, i go to a Lincoln Mercury dealer and they know how to treat people. I am not sure what is up with RE Barbarion, they can make a perfectly good Dealership look like a bumbling circus. I do know one thing, I will call you when the next truck is needed, no doubt about it. Looks like you made it home safe, did your sister stay behind? I am going out again with my parents tonight, I will keep my eyes peeled for ya.

n2boatn2 07-14-2005 04:38 PM

Racer-x6 I'll go along with your statement ,sometimes what we say or (type) isn't what we meant or it was perceived wrong. So x6 how are we to take the statement quote from Bigyellowcat I ADVISE YOU,, In a time of most grievous emotions ,closer is what Mark and his family are after,,
Bigcat if or when you have a son and God forbid he were to be killed in an accident ,, please post to us your feelings . Mike and Mark were twins if you have any experience with them it's like dealing with ONE. We including myself can't say how we would feel or what we would say until we are put in the same pair of shoes. And I will clarify any misunderstandings about my statement about DEEEEP pockets

Just because you have a BIGYELLOWCAT or a big fast boat period,, and you think your packing big bucks,, look at what happened Saturday money has never cheated death don't think it want happen to you. When you think your BIG with a pair of $ 60k engines let me show you my six figure motor coach, and my equally expensive twin engine Cessna.etc. etc. When I want to be humbled I look at Boone Pickens and think how insignificant my net worth really is!

I am relatively new to high performance boating, and really don't know my ass from a boat paddle when it comes to what happened on Saturday morning,, could I have done any better HELL no ,,worse . I'm thinking that BYC feels that Mark was fishing for info to blame someone,,I steal don't see it.