Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Polishing lowers on a #6 drive? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/107747-polishing-lowers-6-drive.html)

OldSchool 07-14-2005 08:17 PM

Polishing lowers on a #6 drive?

1 Attachment(s)
It's supposed to rain all weekend where I live and I was thinking that I would polish the lowers on my boat. No real movement on the engines yet. How much of a beeotch is it and what is the best (easiest :rolleyes: :D :drink: ) way to get 'er done???

Let's hear it, what's the best way???

Craig

thisistank 07-14-2005 08:20 PM

Re: Polishing lowers on a #6 drive?

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I would like to know myself....

Pwrbt33 07-14-2005 08:25 PM

Buy the two that are already done that I have in boxes that I took off the 46' Cig and let me recase yours. Or you can sand them with 300 grit and scotch bright and then use a high speed buffer with compound for awhile and then use a good aluminum polish with the high speed buffer all this while spitting out the fur that comes off the buffer pad, wiping the sweat off the brow while leaving compound residue on your forhead and drinking lots of beer and cussing yourself and the lowers. :eek: :D

Sounds like a real fun weekend Craig, let me know how it goes!

Talk to you later.

John

thisistank 07-14-2005 08:27 PM

I guess I'll be stuck with plan B since I don't have 6's to swap out...Though I'll trade ya a nice set of 3A's!! :drink: :drink:

OldSchool 07-14-2005 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I polished the engine casings on my 1977 Honda 750. That was about 25 years ago ...so I really can't remember how I did it :drink: :drool: :drink: ....but I do remember that it took a long time to do and was a pita. There was like a clear coating on them that made it a much harder task!! I think that I used steel wool and some Mother's aluminum polish.

There is a heck of alot more surface area on these drives to polish, but no coating!!!

OldSchool 07-14-2005 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pwrbt33
Buy the two that are already done that I have in boxes that I took off the 46' Cig and let me recase yours. Or you can sand them with 300 grit and scotch bright and then use a high speed buffer with compound for awhile and then use a good aluminum polish with the high speed buffer all this while spitting out the fur that comes off the buffer pad, wiping the sweat off the brow while leaving compound residue on your forhead and drinking lots of beer and cussing yourself and the lowers. :eek: :D

Sounds like a real fun weekend Craig, let me know how it goes!

Talk to you later.

John

Now that is funny! LMAO :D :evilb: :drink: :evilb:

I'll be polishing....I don't like your prices!! :p :p

JasonSmith 07-14-2005 08:31 PM

Let me tell you what you are in for! Staw away from polishing them. I started on some IMCOs and a week later said fu*k it. Hit em with some 200 grit and called it good. Could not get them to shine. I even took them to a guy who polishes aluminum for a living and he gave up.
On the plus side, Mamma Merc's casting quality is probably of a highte standard than IMCO's.

Ron P 07-14-2005 08:36 PM

I don't think it would take more than an hour per side. x4.

Hand sand them staring with about 400 dry and then go wet, 600, 1000, 2000. Then get a wheel and some compound, finish off with mother polish.

That should hold up for a while.

OldSchool 07-14-2005 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P
I don't think it would take more than an hour per side. x4.

Hand sand them staring with about 400 dry and then go wet, 600, 1000, 2000. Then get a wheel and some compound, finish off with mother polish.

That should hold up for a while.

How long is a while?? In freshwater.

JasonSmith 07-14-2005 08:47 PM

you know an hour or two....... :evilb: