Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What kind of Race do you prefer to watch (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/107774-what-kind-race-do-you-prefer-watch.html)

mr_velocity 07-15-2005 12:59 PM

Re: What kind of Race do you prefer to watch

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I would love to see a lengthy offshore race across 25 miles of open water. A modern day "Apache Offshore Challenge" would be very interesting to see.

That's the problem, you don't "see" lengthy races. One pass maybe 2 and it's over.

CigDaze 07-15-2005 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
That's the problem, you don't "see" lengthy races. One pass maybe 2 and it's over.

Oh, I totally agree. Perhaps, I should have chosen different words, of course the only way to see a race like this would be on tv. Nevertheless, watching that Apache video posted here a couple weeks ago, gave me a totally different perspective and appreciation for offshore racing.

In no way would I want to see this kind of racing exclusively, I like the current format, but an occasional offshore "proving ground" kind of race would be interesting to see(on tv).

:cool:

mr_velocity 07-15-2005 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Oh, I totally agree. Perhaps, I should have chosen different words, of course the only way to see a race like this would be on tv. Nevertheless, watching that Apache video posted here a couple weeks ago, gave me a totally different perspective and appreciation for offshore racing.

In no way would I want to see this kind of racing exclusively, I like the current format, but an occasional offshore "proving ground" kind of race would be interesting to see(on tv).

:cool:

Another way to go would be the current short courses but at venues like Cap Cod, Atlantic City etc that offer real offshore conditions in a viewable format.

Oh how could I forget my all time favorite, Corpus Christi TX. Rough as hell, entire course viewable by spectatiors.

gdfatha 07-15-2005 02:42 PM

IMHO...

It's been proven in many other classes of racing that fan interest lapses after 3 hours.

A shorter course with many boats is the most exciting. Who in the hell wants to sit/stand and wait 3-5 minutes to hear a VAROOOM and a 1 second glimpse of a boat no matter what class.

Small course & deck to deck racing will win fan appeal every time (not necessarily the drivers desire).

Dry pits and wet pits is where the fan REALY sees sponsors logos/decals and it's the sponsor who actually pays for the racing. AND its the return on investment that the sponsor lives for.

AND don't forget the checker flag parade ( correct or incorrect) as the races end. AS it now stands 99% of fans have NO idea who the hell won each class..

Without it is like sitting down BUT NOT EATING an Italian meal of salad, bread, regatoni and sausage, wine and dessert, then leaving the table empty.

Racers do it for the love of the sport and compeitition and the fan for the same.

Now what the hell was the question??

See ya in

dhlaw 07-15-2005 03:15 PM

Bottom line is that we need to get back to what these boats were designed for, lond distance high speed offshore running. This would bring a number of challenges to the table including reliability, navigation, changing conditions, etc. This short course stuff would have Don A puking!!! If a promotor would step up and organize a 2 time a year race from Miami to West End, or Key west to Miami I would be in and quite a few other guys I know with very capable boats would too.

WARPARTY36 07-15-2005 03:28 PM

I prefer to watch the ones with no accidents! :cool:

cuda 07-15-2005 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by dhlaw
If a promotor would step up and organize a 2 time a year race from Miami to West End, or Key west to Miami I would be in and quite a few other guys I know with very capable boats would too.

That's what I'd love to see too, or maybe Jacksonville to Miami. Could you imagine how many people could see it on the beach? I imagine the logistics would be nearly impossible now days with manatee spotters and such.

Strip Poker 388 07-15-2005 04:17 PM

inbetween .I like a few classes and a lot of boat :drink:

Formula Outlaw 07-15-2005 04:24 PM

Multiple races definitely.

thedonz 07-15-2005 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by frequentflyer
Several. However, I think there needs to be a few offshore races that are truly offshore !! They will probably be seen only on media versus live by most of the population but I think that manufacturers should be proving their hulls offshore. I think that offshore should mean offshore just like it did in the 70's and 80's. I realize the need for spectators but for the hardcore there should be a class that races the real offshore Miami - Bimini or Miami Nassau Miami races of yesteryear. I'm afraid to buy (when I could afford them) the hulls now adays when I don't know if they can withstand the rigors of REAL offshore. Sure they can go 100 on a 2 foot chop but what ever happened to real offshore racing... This may be a stupid point of view but I would hope that I share this sentiment with several members.... or maybe not.... please post... :rolleyes:

very very but very well said this new era isn't real offshore hopefully one day it will be like it was in the 70's and 80's Miami to Nassau Miami to Key West

mike