Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/107923-sbi-one-best-kept-secrets-racing.html)

Phantom1 07-19-2005 09:38 PM

Re: SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!

Try running old-style races today and having an accident 40 miles offshore. I don't care how many waivers are signed........some lawyer is going to get rich off of it, and some promoter will lose his azz.

Ron P 07-19-2005 09:48 PM

http://www.miami-newyork2004.com/

We tried to put this race together. Just waiting for a sponsor to drop about $350,000 in our hands to pull it all together.

Got one?

speed buff 07-19-2005 10:31 PM

screw the lawyers !!! so all forms of racing like nascar, trans-am, road racing, worry about lawyers :cool:
i think miami to new york is to much.i think a race like miami to bimini is more realistic '" offshore " 100 miles round trip. as a fan i have seen a few videos from freezeframe and i am always intrigued by the on board footage. why cant this be done live at race events with the technology we have today on gigantic screen TVs running "offshore races". i think 5 classes at most like F1 , F2 , super v , super cat light , and supercat would be awesome in a national race series.as a fan i like to see boats flying out of the water, not in calm conditions since the boats seem to be going slow.i think a class similar to f2 class would be perfect with old school race coarses.imagine having factory backed race teams like fountain,pantera,donzi,cigarette,apache,outerlimit s, racing to bimini with identical stock power:evilb: .or skater,mti,motion,eliminator,nortech doing the same :p i think this would create big bragging rights for the manufactures and would show what boat " really " runs its best in " offshore " conditions and STAY TOGETHER ( lamination ) .the crew would also need to have experience navigating like races from 20 years ago.just my thoughts. :D

Cash Bar 07-19-2005 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by speed buff
the crew would also need to have experience navigating like races from 20 years ago.just my thoughts. :D

Not really. GPS has fixed that pretty good. But I would like to see some longer races. Key West and Marathon when it's rough in the Atlantic are great. Different conditions in a fan friendly viewing area.

Giant screens w/announcer would be great if you could combine live helo/cockpit/bow/stern cams.

And F-2 is just too fast for open boats. Most of those teams run SV for that reason.

Greg

speed buff 07-19-2005 10:46 PM

if you are going to be going straight for long distance without so many turns i think f2 class would be just fine running speeds like they were a few years ago. i like the idea of boats that look like the "real deal" that everyone can buy on a showroom floor and relate to like f1 and f2.it seems people get hurt with the small little coarses.when you run in rougher water you will not be going as fast but you will know who has the skills and the cojones.a good boat would also help under you. not everyone knows how to read gps :D they would have to learn :D

Ron P 07-19-2005 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not to burst your bubble, but putting on the race is the easy part. Finding the sponsor is the hard part.

For long range event a sponsor with deep pocket to properly cover the race from the air is needed, then put it on TV. One way events also require patrol boats and checkpoint boats to come from multiple locations. Try recruiting that fleet!!!! :eek:

Large screen with live feed???? Offshore doesn't have the money of the NFL. Without an ability to charge a gate to spectators, all the expenses fall on the racers and sponsors.

In Trinidad, they run the Great Race each August. It's 100 miles, one way across open ocean, between Trinidad and Tobego. I got to watch it from a chopper last summer. It was a GREAT RACE!

speed buff 07-19-2005 10:54 PM

i attend monster truck races at stadiums every year and they have the large big screen TVs showing the upclose action live, just awesome.the race in trinidad must be incredible .maybe run less races on the schedule and put more $$ toward TV and media with spectators paying to watch the races live on big screen TVs with a nice brunch, in a nice location like turnberry isle in the mid 1980s.there is a great video download of the 1985 apache grand prix race in the vip gold members section i believe.i think usa network was covering the race.i am sure there are plenty of manufactures and racers that can afford to sponsor these races like they do poker runs now if it got everyone excited. :p

Ron P 07-19-2005 11:11 PM

Ah, here's where the circle meets. First you must get an audience that wants to watch for free, then see if you can charge them. Isn't this about how few people were in Dania? Why, lack of interest or lack of information. Once you figure out how to pack the beach with people, then you can move onto figuring out how to charge them to watch from the beach or boat.

Then you can get the big TV! :D

speed buff 07-19-2005 11:19 PM

it is to hard to control the crowds at the local beach to get them to pay $$ in such a large spread out area i think .it seems key west is a good location to charge $$ since you have more of a controlled area for the fans to watch.i never attended the benihana race in new jersey when i was a kid but what made it so popular that they would have it on a wednesday and the boats would not run in a little coarse up and down the beach ? it was an " offshore " race was in it ?maybe top banana can chime in on this question or old school racers.

speed buff 07-19-2005 11:39 PM

i agree