Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"! >

SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!

Notices

SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!

Old 07-21-2005, 03:44 PM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!

Originally Posted by T2x
Boat Kitten:
Sadly, volunteer (non-professional) created press releases frequently read that way and are passed over by the major media.....T2x
You are right. The low budget new flashes (and TV productions too) aren't nearly as crisp as a release from an experienced marketing or production firm.

But apparently even OSO liked the Champboat release enough to post it on their News page. Actually, several other outlets used it too. What can it hurt when you've got nothing else?

The letter by the racer in my other post was also written by an amateur - but it too ended up in the mainstrem News. Out of 27 submissions, one picked it up. It wasn't "Major Media" that grabbed it and ran it, but then, very few things outside scandals, gossip and Harry Potter get in the "Major Media" these days.

But the most important thing - it was printed in the local newpaper two days before the event --- And now a whole lot more people know there is a race happening this weekend in that town. And that matters when race day comes around.

Last edited by BK; 07-21-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!

Originally Posted by BK
You are right. The low budget new flashes (and TV productions too) aren't nearly as crisp as a release from an experienced marketing or production firm.

But apparently even OSO liked the Champboat release enough to post it on their News page. Actually, several other outlets used it too. What can it hurt when you've got nothing else?

The letter by the racer in my other post was also written by an amateur - but it too ended up in the mainstrem News. Out of 27 submissions, one picked it up. It wasn't "Major Media" that grabbed it and ran it, but then, very few things outside scandals, gossip and Harry Potter get in the "Major Media" these days.

But the most important thing - it was printed in the local newpaper two days before the event --- And now a whole lot more people know there is a race happening this weekend in that town. And that matters when race day comes around.
BK:

You and I share an OPC background......... although my career spanned the Jurassic age.....

There is a reason that Champ racing is an easier sell and a reason why there are no twin and triple engine Champ classes................. Simplicity

Telling people that the Champ boats are coming with recognized names like Seebold and Rinker....... racing against each other....in one class..... is a lot easier than announcing that Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukah and New Years will be celebrated together this year at the Easter Parade..... except by left handed people.

T2x
Old 07-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I was a little kid, I use to love to go to the pits and buy t-shirts. I would have me dad get me every one. When I was racing I was on a very limited buget, much less then a beer budget. I had about 14 different style t-shirst made and I had the girls sell them in the pits. It really helped with expensises. It at least coverer the gas or enrty fee. There wasn't one person selling shirts this week except SBI. I guess with so few spectators, why bother trying. By the way, I have some of shirts left, anyone want one, PM me your address and size along with $29.95 Just kidding, I'll send you one for FREE!!! (If I have your size).

Last edited by LubeJobs42; 07-21-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:50 PM
JnT
Registered

Even if the organizations cannot unify and race together, a race on Saturday for one, and a race on Sunday for the other, at the same venue, would bring many boats and many fans together. Filling hotels and condos, increasing traffic in bars and restaraunts, and ultimately being a real money maker for the town or city involved. Get it "TOGETHER" OSS and SBI.

Last edited by JnT; 07-21-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

"Invented dirt"
tx2 didn't realize you were THAT old...
Old 07-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JnT
Even if the organizations cannot unify and race together, a race on Saturday for one, and a race on Sunday for the other, at the same venue, would bring many boats and many fans together. Filling hotels and condos, increasing traffic in bars and restaraunts, and ultimately being a real money maker for the town or city involved. Get it "TOGETHER" OSS and SBI.
I have thought about this ever since the KW stuff blew up. I have heard the reasons why the 2 groups will not be together there and I understand to a point. However it makes no sense to not share sites and expenses. There is very little overlap in boats between OSS and SBI/APBA and both groups will have to spend considerable amounts of money just to provide the infrastructure to have a race. It would seem that if both groups were to share a site and race "Separate but Equal" either on different days or at different times of day everyone would benefit. The fans get to see huge boat numbers, lots of racing, and a great show. The groups get a lower cost of production which makes it easier on them in staging the race. And the sponsors get the exposure to large groups of people that they pay for. This would not necessarily be just for KW-although that would be a great place to start-but could be done at 4 or 5 sites per year. This could bring up the level of racing comparable to other big time motorsports and allow the teams to court sponsors with a viable, solid schedule well in advance of the season. Even though I think the goals of OSS and SBI/APBA are somewhat different and divergent it would seem like good business practice to cut the cost of doing business by sharing expenses.

Heck if everybody wants to sit down and work this out, I'll bring the legal pad and a pencil and we'll make this happen Somebody just get me a ride on the pace boat in KW-okay.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
TB is your name Charlie McCarthy? I'm sitting here with John Crouse looking over my shoulder. He seems to think he knows you. Have you ever done time?

Maybe that's what we need...pull Crouse out of the cave in central Florida and let him work the media frenzy up while the boys go racing again.

The only time I did....... was waiting for Crouse to finish his book Searace....and now we wait agan for the second book on the Legends.

T2X....maybe you hit it right on, when you mentioned the stock outboard guys....they race because they love it and they know they won't get any money for it. Surely we have some offshore guys who would do the same.

The Mrs and I just took a short break up at Lake George, where she reminded me of my OPC days in '66 at the nationals......Great start I had.... and then she never saw me again .....as my super duper special fuel tank split...... and flooded the boat with gas..... and somebody towed me into Bolton Landing. It was our first time back there since then....the pain of the memory still hurts, but it was great racing.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:48 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana

The Mrs and I just took a short break up at Lake George, where she reminded me of my OPC days in '66 at the nationals......Great start I had.... and then she never saw me again .....as my super duper special fuel tank split...... and flooded the boat with gas..... and somebody towed me into Bolton Landing. It was our first time back there since then....the pain of the memory still hurts, but it was great racing.
Talk about coincidence........ I sunk a Powercat in that race.

If you recall they held the closed course and marathon Nationals at the same event...... The marathon was on the second day (very rough and windy),....... The race start was delayed and the check point boats at the north end of the Lake thought it was cancelled and left......... The whole fleet came blasting up the lake....looking for a turn boat...that wasn't there.

We sunk about midway to nowhere.....but we were one of the leaders.....(as if that made it all okay)

Those were the days.

T2x

P.S. Here's the boat George Linder drove in that event.
Attached Thumbnails SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!-scan.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 07-22-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Registered

As a few of you know I work at Anheuser-Busch more commonly known as Budweiser and happen to have a friend that is getting into the marketing side of AB inc, the other day we happened to come across topics that we could use to promote some of the new products we have coming out like Bistros 9 and the 180 energy drinks that haven't sold well enough IMO, I suggested the idea of using a powerboat in one of are commercials. Although it's a long short if AB was to use a powerboat in one of our commercials it could spark more interest in the sport.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

um.......Barcardi Silver is an AB product. Dave Scott is VERY good friends with Augie Busch, who used to race by the way.

Quick Reply: SBI "One of the best kept secrets in racing"!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.