Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Florida Boaters: This is a MUST read.... >

Florida Boaters: This is a MUST read....

Notices

Florida Boaters: This is a MUST read....

Old 07-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Florida Boaters: This is a MUST read....

Originally Posted by BK
Thanks Dean,

I went to the web site and looked around. I see boats and families having a good time and that is nice. I do think that if there were more signs of empathy for the animals too, that would be much better for this cause more than you might believe. You have to remember that people are driven by their emotions. The majority will pick sides with the group that seems to be the kindest.

When you hear the word "fight", both sides sense hostility and automatically put on boxing gloves. Step back and look at this fight from a neutral perspective and see who is most likely to win.
From the The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy:
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar
ie: You can win people to your side more easily by gentle
persuasion and flattery than by hostile confrontation

BK, with all due respect I don't think you quite grasp what we have been facing with the SavetheManatee Club. This is an organization that relies on lies, threats (to the US Government no less), lawsuits, and a basic "the sky is falling" philosophy. No one hates the manatee, but what we are asking is that manatee legislation be based on FACT not FICTION. Recreational boaters are more than willing to compromise for the good of all, the SMC does not know the meaning of the word compromise. I'm all for fighting "the good fight". The SMC is not. As time is going by, more and more people of the general public are now starting to see through the "dire predictions" of the SMC. Don't kid yourself, we are in a fight, whether we want it or not, to save recreational boating in this state. The SMC goal is to eliminate it, PERIOD. Being "nice" is just not going to cut it at this point in time. Perhaps if the SMC had EVER shown some type of willingness to work with anyone in trying to accomplish an objective mutually agreeable to all parties there would be another way. But they are not interested in that whatsoever, they want it their way and ONLY their way.

Scientists are now beginning to believe that the Manatee reacts to a high pitched propellor as "danger" more easily than a low pitched propellor, that seems to confuse them. If this is true, than the manatee zones are hurting, not helping the manatees.

CFFW is not trying to openly challenge the SMC to a "fight". What we are doing is challenging the manner in which manatee legislation, among other issues, is conceived.

In this time, with this issue, the turn the other cheek concept simply is not going to work. It would only hand the SMC their goal to them on a silver platter.

No offense intended.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Florida Boaters: This is a MUST read....

Originally Posted by LakeRacer
OK, I have to pat myself on the back and also make a challenge. I don't live anywhere near Florida and I joined up. But I signed up for a $100 membership. Forget the $25 and make it worthwhile; spend a few extra bucks. You guys wouldn't think twice about putting a $100 in your gas tank. Splurge or sacrifice (whatever the case might be) and support the cause. Otherwise it's no wake zones as far as the eye can see and the $100 in your tank will be useless.

If you don't support the CFFW now, you cant b itch about it later.

On behalf of CFFW, and all of Florida's boaters, we thank you. Perhaps this will give some of our Florida boaters a "kick in the stern".

Thank you for your support.