Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   fox lake, IL...water levels? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108077-fox-lake-il-water-levels.html)

boatn70 07-19-2005 07:32 PM

fox lake, IL...water levels?

so...in this time of drought, hows the water levels at the fox chain? i am thinking of going out to Blarney's on Thursday but dont know if i should take the boat or not....

any heads up would be great!!! :drink:

kevin

boatn70 07-19-2005 09:48 PM

Re: fox lake, IL...water levels?

lotsa posts tonight,

TTT

Downtown42 07-19-2005 09:50 PM

it's shallow to start with, has to be worse now. Just guessing.

MarkSmith 07-19-2005 10:10 PM

Ron P from Extreme Boats Magazine will be there this Thurday writing an article about Blarney's Island. He will be taking many pictures too.

Sydwayz 07-19-2005 10:15 PM

Apparently its deep enough for the idiots to be out. 2 boat wrecks there 2 weekends ago.

FOUNTAINATLAST 07-19-2005 11:20 PM

I had boated on the Chain for a few years and after the initial spring flood the lake would settle. After that the lake pretty much stayed thet same level all summer, although some of the lakes are very shallow by nature. Grass Lake where Blarney's Island is is an average of about 5' deep, deeper in the running lanes (stay between the marker bouys) very shallow everywhere else!!! Lost quite a few props there, but the good times definitly out way that........... :D :D

boatn70 07-20-2005 06:23 AM

yeah i know its shallow ALL the time but without any rain around here i just wondered if it was TOO shallow. i heard that there were accidents lately! and that theres some crazy people out there!!

just wanted to know if anyone has been out and how bad is it?

klaw 07-20-2005 07:53 AM

I live on the fox river just north of Mchenry I will have to start leaving ny boat off of the lift do to the water level. The area aroun Blarneys will soon be unusable do to the level last week my slip was to shallow to pull the boat fully in. Water levels are terribble I know people south of McHenry lock unable to get boats off of lifts, At Blarneys they are saying the Blarney Queen is a good alternative to get to the Island do to the low level. I was not there Sunday but a friend who was there said they had closed some of the slips closest to the Island do to fear of boats getting stuck in the Mud.

sonic31 07-20-2005 08:54 AM

Yeah im out there every weekend and its easily a foot or more lower then normal, you can see how low it is on all the sea walls and bridges,I was at Blarney's last thursday and its definatley low, every boat that went by was kicken up tons of mud, its so shallow there to begin with but with no rain its even worse,just keep inside the bouys and trim way up.I also have a friend on lower river and he can't use his dock because it's so low.

Smitty 07-20-2005 09:01 AM

I concur with Sonic31 . I have a 36 Outlaw and if it gets any worse I will be driving to Lk. Michigan to finish out the summer. If you do not know exactly where to go I highly recommend that you leave your boat at home and take the Blarney barge. I have a slip for the thursday races but I can't use it because I will get stuck.

Sorry for the bad news !!!