Notices

Imco article(s)

Old 07-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Imco article(s)

I'm surprised no one has had anything to say about the two articles, one in Powerboat, and one in Hot Boat, about the twin drive system coupled to a single motor that Imco tested.
Either that or I missed it.
I remember suggesting a settup like this to my father over 20 years ago when I was about 12. He just said it would never work. (He's not the most mechanically inclined, or "free thinker", and hell, I was 12).

Any thoughts on it??
Old 07-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Imco article(s)

that thing is pissah take say my baja 24 ol pro charge my509 say950hp I bet chine walk the 24, 25, footers are known for in upper speeds would go away and run abuck easy or put the set up in the new sutphen 32 my dream boat Ernie are you listening
Old 07-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Registered

It I have a boat with twin drives I am going to have twin motors. At least if one motor breaks I will be able to get back. Both motors would not have to be as wild as the one to get big speeds either.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your right, the motor was a wild HP. I don't have the article in front of me, but I think it was an 1150. Alot of power, and I'm sure major maintanence.
But how do you think this could apply to a reasonable motor? In a Mid-size boat ( 25- 31 range?). Alot less weight. Much Cheaper to service instead of 2 motors. Two prop's in the water, is that similar to having more rubber on the road? Also, seems like people around here blow up drives before blowing up motors ( except for a few that come to mind... ). If you had a shifter to engage both drives, or Port/S.Board only, could you make it back to the dock a little easier? You would then be delivering the full power to only one drive - instead of splitting the power to run two. Of course, it would be far off "center", what would that affect?

I just wanted to bring it up as a topic for discussion - I've been thinking about this for over 20 years, and have always wondered why it hadn't been done yet.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at Lake Elsinore, CA. the day that Imco was testing this boat (Nordic) with the 1,000+ HP motor with the 2 drives. It looked pretty cool. The cost is almost as expensive as having 2 motors with 2 drives. I was told this setup was designed for the smaller boats (20'-26') in the ski races. With 2 drives,it evens out the massive torque--- the boat will run more level.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:07 AM
Registered

The drag boat guys have been running the twin screw, single engine set up for years.